News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

greetings, chip

here are more fotos. the kappenabzeichen is of unmarked zinc and was very difficult to remove from ribbon, as clasp was bent shut. it seems to have been present on ribbon for a very long time.

the ornate silver jugendstil-type medal is from lauer of nuremberg. 

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-4736-0-71843200-1425144557.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-4736-0-87000400-1425144631.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-4736-0-39776900-1425144645.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-4736-0-08146600-1425144656.jpg

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

Eric,

Thanks for the additional photos. It appears that medal is for 25 years service to the Hohenlohe Factory. The ribbon looks Austrian, but I'm not sure the pin has anything to do with it other than it may have been owned by the same person. Regardless, it a very nice pin.

Chip

ribbon is typical for something from wurttemberg, many variations of gold/black and red/black stripes for all kinds of long service medals.

thanks for the info on the austrian cap badge, chip. makes sense that someone with mining experience would have also been involved in some way with trench warfare...several kinds of mines spring to mind..

oooooohhhh... thats like adding diet Pepsi to a nice glass of Laphroaig............

I know it's out of the topic , I'm sorry but couldn't resist   - Laphroaig , especially 10 y.o. is my favorite one !!!!  my much older ex girlfriend ( many years ago :love:  ) once said  about it -  you'll love it or hate it , nothing between ....   I can't disagree .

best regards

Kornel

ps.

ribbon is typical for something from wurttemberg, many variations of gold/black and red/black stripes for all kinds of long service medals.

thanks for the info on the austrian cap badge, chip. makes sense that someone with mining experience would have also been involved in some way with trench warfare...several kinds of mines spring to mind..

The skull and hand-grenade with 'St' (Sturmtruppen?) likely indicates a hitherto unknown (at least by me) Sturmtruppen badge and I would bet it's Austrian. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the medal. But, as you say, it likely belonged to the same person and he just stuck it on the ribbon.

It's cool, whatever it is.

Placed ................. before sewing !! ;)

I saw this photo on eBay. The badge looks quite stiff and new. I suspect he was anxious for a photo and just slipped it under his cuff temporarily. It's a nice clear photo of the badge.

Edited by bolewts58

• 2 weeks later...

Once detailed photos of the front and back of the real ones were put on-line, these better replicas started appearing. I am reluctant to show the reverse of any of my insignia for this reason.

Chip

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I don't believe the bar belongs to the (miner's?) medal. It is an Austrian Sturmtrupp-Kappenabzeichen. May we see the reverse of the pin?

Chip

Oh, my!!

why didn't you guys tell me it was so valuable??? lol :catjava:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-RARE-WW1-GERMAN-ORIGINAL-BADGE-STORMTROOPER-1916-/111674840344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a0056d518

Eric,

Don't count your chickens yet. Look where the seller is.

Does the back of yours look like this? It seems a postwar pin attachment on this Ebay example. Anyway, it's not typical for the reverse of a WWI Kappenabzeichen.

Chip

chip,

i assure you that i meant the previous comments entirely in jest, and yes-- i concur with your opinion of the reverse setup!  :cheers:

it boggles the mind what one finds on ebay sometimes. sheer audacity!

mine has what one would expect back there; i posted photos of it on feb 28th, but the recent upgrade must have deleted the images. 

typical kappenabz. thin sharp pin, flat catch, flimsy flat metal hinge panels, etc etc