News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The South African Mounted Rifles (SAMR)

CAP AND HELMET BADGE

The South African Mounted Rifles were formed on 1 April 1913 from existing provincial Permanent and Police forces. The 1st Regiment was formed from the Cape Mounted Rifles, the 2nd from the Natal and Free State Police, the 3rd from the Natal Police, the 4th from the Transvaal Police and the 5th from the Cape Mounted Police. Until the start of WW1, the SAMR did policing work in many areas of South Africa.

When WW1 started, the SAMR became the 6th Mounted Brigade. They served in German South West Africa and then returned to South Africa where many memebers were released to serve in the Overseas Expeditionary Forces. The remainder did policing duties in South Africa.

In 1920, the disbandment of the force began. Most members then joined the newly formed South African Police. In 1926, the last regiment was disbanded.

Officers's pouch with badge. This specific item is attributed to Major Gordon-Gray, DSO, MC, of the SAMR who was shot and killed by a sniper in Benoni on the East Rand during the 1922 strike.

Will - so good to see these rare pieces put together in such a legible way. To think you're posting from darkest Sudan - and your wife is taking the photos and sending them to you. You make a great team - you must bring her to Durban when they give you time 'to breathe'!

• 2 months later...

Any chance of an interior shot of the Wolseley?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I am back in the Sudan but will arrange it.

After reading and using the excellent book you were part of compiling I am now officially a pith helmet collector!

Regards,

Will

Hi Stuart,

I am back in the Sudan but will arrange it.

After reading and using the excellent book you were part of compiling I am now officially a pith helmet collector!

Regards,

Will

Hi Will,

I wondered if you got a copy of the book. Do you know when the Polo helmet was officially adopted by the SA forces and why did they choose that style over the Wolseley.

The Kimberley and Witwatersrand Regiments wore the polo style but from a Player's cigarette card I have Regiment Louw Wepener seems to have opted for the Wolseley.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Will,

I wondered if you got a copy of the book. Do you know when the Polo helmet was officially adopted by the SA forces and why did they choose that style over the Wolseley.

The Kimberley and Witwatersrand Regiments wore the polo style but from a Player's cigarette card I have Regiment Louw Wepener seems to have opted for the Wolseley.

Regards,

Stuart

According to an article written by Mr Hamish Pattison at the SA National Museum of Military History, the Wolseley Pattern helmet was phased out in 1936 by the then Union Defence Force.

The helmet may have been changed for practical bush war reasons and may have been modelled on the RAF tropical pattern helmet.

I start a seperate post on SA Bush helmets if there is interest, this will also include the South African Police and Railway Police who wore variations of the Wolseley helmet.

Chris,

this looks more like a Wolseley than a polo helmet. Wolseleys could vary considerably in the early days of hand production because of variations in hat blocks and the skill of the hatter.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Will,

thanks for the information. I shall attempt to locate a copy of the article you mention.

Please start a thread on SA bush helmets, I am a helmet collector after all:D

Hi Stuart,

The SAMR wore Wolseley pattern helmets until the last regiment was disbanded in 1926. The example I have is dated 1923 if my memory serves me correctly.

I will have photographs taken this afternoon.

I have contacted Hamish Pattison and will get a copy of the article for you.

Regards,

Will

Hi Stuart,

The SAMR wore Wolseley pattern helmets until the last regiment was disbanded in 1926. The example I have is dated 1923 if my memory serves me correctly.

I will have photographs taken this afternoon.

I have contacted Hamish Pattison and will get a copy of the article for you.

Regards,

Will

Dear Will,

getting me a copy of Hamish's article is very kind of you. I was going to say "uncommonly kind" but it's not on this forum.

I am finishing off the Wolseley book, but I keep saying that, and then some more information comes to light. Never thought a single helmet could generate a book of 100+ pages but I hope to go to the printers late September.

I hope you remain a pith helmet collector at least until then:D

Stuart

PS. is the smiley displaying as when I post the reply I get :D

Edited by Stuart Bates

The building used by the SAMR in Pietermaritzburg is still a police station to this day.

It is Alexandra Road Police Station, 101 Alexandra Road Scottsville Pietermaritzburg intersection of Alexandra Road and Lindup Road, opposite the Harry Gwala Stadium(previosly the Jan Smuts Stadium)

For those that want to see an arial view on google map it is the U shape structure up against Lindup Road. The leg of the U furtherst from Lindup Road are the married quarters, the leg against Lindup Road were to do with the horses, tackle, feed rooms etc. All the other buildings on the premises are single and married quarters built in the 1970/80's.

Except for the two large buildings next to the station which are the Strauss hall and below that the old kitchen and mess hall, now the Officers Club for the Natal Midlands. Was a workshop until 1993.

This building was built in the 1890's for the Natal Mounted Police as their head quarters and still has the scroll over the arch saying Natal Mounted Police. I worked for a number of years at this station, but lived in the married quarters which are in the building for nearly a decade.

The pillars over the arch on the court yard side have dates scratched into them 1899 etc.

The building is of Victorian red brick and stuck togather with a lime and sand mixture not cement.

Will,

thanks for the interior shots. It is a fairly standard Wolseley intrinsically, but a lovely example. What is attached to the side, as I see two sets of bent shanks/tabs/prongs on the left hand side. Are they securing a flash or another badge?

E.W. Vero was one of the larger helmet manufacturers and patented a detachable headband in 1925, and I note that yours bears their label dated to 1921. It is in superb condition. A forlorn hope but if you ever want to sell...

Do start a thread on SA (and Rhodesian) bush hats.

Thanks again,

Stuart

PS. there is already a thread on the Wolseley helmet

Edited by Stuart Bates