News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver War Badge Award Certificate

This is a recent purchase and addition to my collection of the Silver War Badge and related items. This is the first example that I have seen and I was unaware of the existence of this certificate confirming an award of the Badge.

That is interesting.

I have seen certificates like this before for Canadians, but not for a South African.

The low number of the badge seems to infer a South African list although the certificate itself seems of a generic imperial style.

I wonder if there is a roll of these in Durban?

Off to the GWF to snoop round.

For some reason and despite the number issued they're far from being common. I can count the number I have in my collection on one hand in among over 100 sets of Discharge documents and most of those record them as discharged under Kings Regs Para 392(xvi) or 392(xvi)a as being "no longer physically fit for War service" i.e. discharged due to wounds or sickness, which would qualify for a SWB.

Will

I wonder if the V Clapham named on the certificate is the same as Vic Clapham, who was founder of the Comrades Marathon?

For those who don't know, the Comrades Marathon is an annual race run between Durban and Pietermaritzburg. It was first run in 1921 to commemorate those who died in World War I. Although it now includes international professional runners, it still is mainly a race for South African amateurs and is noted for its good sportsmanship and mutual support amongst runners. It is due to be run again next Sunday.

Regards

Brett

Will

Victor Clapham was born in London. He died in Natal (?Pietermaritzburg) in 1962 and his death is recorded in the PMB Archives:

NAB. MSCE. 3329/1962.

I can ask someone to copy this death notice, if you want it.

Regards

Brett

I think these certificates were known as "King's Certificates", at least in South Africa. I have a service card for a South African that carries the following note:

Awarded Silver War Badge 4755 and King's Certificate 4643

The man's medals came with the SWB, but the Certificate is missing.

Regards

Brett

Will

Thanks for putting me straight. I wish I had the King's Certificate for the man I mentioned. He was with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers during the Boer War and was wounded during the Battle of Colenso. He was a great research subject.

I have ordered a copy of Vic Clapham's death notice for you.

Regards

Brett