News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 MC sets to French Canadian Brothers

I was asked by one of my squadron mates to appraise a set of WW1 medals from his wife's family for insurance purposes. I really wasn't expecting what I saw, this goes way above my talents. Below are the 2 sets to brothers who both earned the Military Cross and who died in combat in WW1, both were French Canadians from the province of Quebec. I understand that in the UK, this might not be that rare, but in Canada and more particularly in French Canada, this is about as rare as it gets!!

Both were officers, one in the 22nd French Canadian Battalion (later to be the Royal 22nd Regiment, the "Vandoos"), the other if I read it correctly was in the 80th battalion out of Nicolet Quebec.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2009/post-3030-1242953512.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2009/post-3030-1242953518.jpg

Lambert Dumont Laviolette & Alexandre Laviolette

Major Lambert Dumont Laviolette's set include:

-Military Cross (named to major Laviolette).

-1914-14 Star (named to lieutenant Laviolette).

-British War Medal (maj).

-Victory Medal (maj) - Odd that there was no MID.

-French Croix de Guerre with Palme

-Belgian Civic Medal

All documents are included in the set, including the major's original 1869 Victorian officer's commission!

Edited by TacHel

The items also included are various hat badges, shoulder titles, spoons, toiletry kits etc. Absolutely astounding! It seems their entire personal effects not only survived but were all brought back to Canada and preserved to this date as a complete ensemble!!

Any help in appraising (even a ball park figure) this incredible historical treasure would be greatly appreciated!!

I want to point out something important: I AM NOT GETTING PAID FOR THIS APPRAISAL just in case you were wondering. Very few collectors around here and my subordinates know my great interest in these matters and didn't know where else to turn. And like I mentioned in the first post... This is way out of my league, too many artifacts accompany the sets.

Awaiting your thoughts gents.

Hello,

It appears further research will be required as Alexandre's MC does not seem to be listed for Canadian service (!)

Perhaps he won it while serving with a British regiment.

Lambert's MC won won as a Lieutenant.

Nevertheless, assuming the MC is correct, an unusual grouping to say the least.

I should think that an insurance amount would be in the $10,000 to $12,000 range, perhaps even higher ? IF Alexandre's MC can be confirmed.

Their mother's rosary is hard to look at.

PK

I agree wholeheartedly, to the point of originally hesitating as to whether or not to include the picture... Very poignant indeed.

You were right to include it. We sometimes forget those who were or are left behind in our desire to honour those who fell. Quant au groupement, cher ami, je regrette que je ne peux rien vous dire au niveau de sa valeur, qui devrait ?tre importante, mais je n'ai jamais vu un tel groupement, sauf, comme vous dites, quelques exemplaires aux officiers purement britanniques. Mais le Canada fran?ais? Jamais! Je suppose que m?me si l'Enseigne Jean-Baptiste Levereault de Langis de Montegron dit ?Langy? desapprouvait politiquement les Qu?becois qui luttait pour les anglais, il les aurait bien acceuilli au Valhalla en tant que guerrier franco-canadien!

You are looking at an insurance value somewhere past five figures in Sterling, let alone Canadian dollars.

PK

Edited by PKeating

Also included are these 2 medals which I am unfamiliar with.

The one on the left is a society medal for the I.O.D.E. The mother probably joined when war broke out. The second is for another society "Mothers in Sacrifice". I had one where the son's name was engraved, but here, presumably because there were two, they are on bars.

Could you post a better pic of the Belgian award document.

Or maybe the text of article 1 & 2.

It is very difficult to read from the pic you posted.

Thanks

Jan

The articles are back with the family, I'll ask for better pics or borrow them to properly scan them.

An 'ordinary' MC group will sell at auction for between ?800 and ?1500 - more if it has special service. How do you price two brothers and the complete set of mementoes, extra service awards and papers. As PK said - the Rosary alone almost brings tears. The only thing I have seen that was more poignant,was a small bible - where each brother in turn had carried it- until KIA. Three brothers in turn , had inscribed the flyleaf - all died !

PK is right - they will never sell them- so, insurance of at least ?10,000.

Very in teresting group! For somebody not familiar with these, were mother's crosses given to a mother when her son was KIA?

It's "familiarly" called that... It goes to the next of kin, but so many KIAs were so young, mostly mothers received them. :(