News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 "26"

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Unusual ... I dont believe I have seen a "26" maker marked EK1 from the TR era before ..

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

That bright silver finish on the back looks "57"ish to me

Not really .... original "26" WW2 (Swastika) mint 26's had that same frosted back :rolleyes:

I don't own that many "Low Mileage" crosses ...mine have a few miles on them so I guess I'm not use to that 2 tone pin to back effect. You know ...it's been 2 years since I've played with my EK1's ..time to check them out again huh? :blush:

Not really .... original "26" WW2 (Swastika) mint 26's had that same frosted back :rolleyes:

Hi Darrell ...Mayer did pay attention to details ..and the frosted finish on any of their PAB or IAB has that 2 tone effect . I was just never lucky enough to own a mint cond one like yours ..I'm use to seeing examples like the one Bill posted where the mirror finish on the pin has faded to match the back. Could they have made the TR WW1's as a custom or made to order item ? Maybe the didn't keep a large stock on hand as replacements. They were a quality outfit that's for sure :cheers:

Guest Darrell

One thing I've always wondered about ..why PKZ numbers were marked on TR produced WW1 replacements. Could Bill's EK be a later production where they stopped PKZ marking them

Could be Mike .... the other interesting thing ... the first one I posted is vaulted as well .... the "26" stamp and vaulting (which appears machined?) must have been very early? Comments?

Guest Rick Research

Assuming that these are in the 1939+ sized frames, the reason for the WW2 maker markings on the "1914" pins is because ALL the +1939 frames were made for interchangeable use. So the 1939 size frame parts were stamped out en masse, and if a specific assembly ended up on a 1939 or a replacement 1914, it didn't matter to them--BOTH fit. Why bother deliberately making TWO simultaneous runs of frame parts, marked and unmarked? So without me knowing about the 1939 version, I'd still venture to guess there are unmarked 1939s as well-- simply howver that parts batch came out.

Assuming that these are in the 1939+ sized frames, the reason for the WW2 maker markings on the "1914" pins is because ALL the +1939 frames were made for interchangeable use. So the 1939 size frame parts were stamped out en masse, and if a specific assembly ended up on a 1939 or a replacement 1914, it didn't matter to them--BOTH fit. Why bother deliberately making TWO simultaneous runs of frame parts, marked and unmarked? So without me knowing about the 1939 version, I'd still venture to guess there are unmarked 1939s as well-- simply howver that parts batch came out.

That makes sense to me as well Rick , the more I think about it ..I can't see them making them custom ordered ...I still can't understand why the Praesidialkanzlei allowed them to be marked since the PK #'s were reserved for Official Awarded Medals and the LDO # was for the replacement or "retail" sales awards. I know a few collectors who prefer PK marked over LDO marked for this reason. I thought the PK maintained tight control over regulations. Maybe since it was a WW1 award , it was a grey area to them and overlooked ?

Rick is right. Darrell, hold your two crosses side by side. The frames should match. I've seen a few of these and if you notice the "W" always looks wide compared to WWI issues. I always thought it was to fill up the extra space of the core.

I sold an L/54 TR made '14 cross to George Stimson that would bring tears to your eyes. Maybe he will post it.

Rick is right. Darrell, hold your two crosses side by side. The frames should match. I've seen a few of these and if you notice the "W" always looks wide compared to WWI issues. I always thought it was to fill up the extra space of the core.

I sold an L/54 TR made '14 cross to George Stimson that would bring tears to your eyes. Maybe he will post it.

Hi Jim ...I think Darrell only has one EK pictured here ...the other was posted by Bill. Interesting how the one you sold had the LDO # on it ...not the PK#.

The answer to the numbers issue is quite simple. Serving soldiers who lost /damaged their EKs ( and other awards) "in the line of duty" were entitled to a free replacement through official sources. Unlike awards such as the PLM and other individual State awards of the Imperial period which were now defunct, the Iron Cross, albeit in a new guise was still a valid award, still being issued and being worn by thousands of still serving soldiers.

It is perfectly logical that any such lost/damaged awards would be replaced by pieces supplied on official contract and thus show the PK mark whilst, just like the 1939 version, those sourced privately as "extras" would show the LDO mark.

The answer to the numbers issue is quite simple. Serving soldiers who lost /damaged their EKs ( and other awards) "in the line of duty" were entitled to a free replacement through official sources. Unlike awards such as the PLM and other individual State awards of the Imperial period which were now defunct, the Iron Cross, albeit in a new guise was still a valid award, still being issued and being worn by thousands of still serving soldiers.

It is perfectly logical that any such lost/damaged awards would be replaced by pieces supplied on official contract and thus show the PK mark whilst, just like the 1939 version, those sourced privately as "extras" would show the LDO mark.

Thanks Gordon ...I understand now , so the same exact rules applied. That would mean that somewhere out there should be another 1914 "L/18" marked sister Cross to this "26" right ?

Edited by Mike

Thanks for explaining that Gordon. Just what I need ...another reason to buy more EK's :unsure:

My Wife will understand

" But Honey ..see how one has a PK # and the other is the LDO?"

And thanks Joe ..I'd like to see some of those Crosses

Guest Darrell

Mike,

Sorry, I thought Darrell had both. Any picture wiz guys that can show them (the 26's) side by side?

Darrell,

Bet you would like to have that one to go with yours.... :love:

Yep ... so many choices ... so little money :unsure: