News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King's Dragoon Guards

Here is my King's Dragoon Guards helmet of the 1847 pattern. It came with a quilted cloth cover and a transit tin with appropriate label. The KDGs served in India from 1857 - 1860 and took part in the Mutiny fighting.

IMG_6954.jpg

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hi Mike,

funny but I went off cavalry helmets a few years ago and concentrated on Blue Cloths, forage caps and sun helmets. Especially the last (see my topic on Military Sun Helmets).

However, here is a photo of my cavalry collection although it is a little out of date.

Stuart

CollectionCavalry.jpg

Very funny, Leigh. I guess that I have just been lucky but I would love to see your collection.

I only collect headdress, but I think your collecting ranges much wider.

Stuart

PS: Fuller's London Pride and/or Double Diamond

Edited by Stuart Bates

Stuart - Fantastic !! I read your IM before opening - I will hold back on my 1st Dragoon Helmet for now. Some 35 years ago I decided to start a serious collection - the choice was between Helmets or, Police. Still in the Met. then , I decided on Police -

partly because helmets take-up space. I have often wished I had made the other decision - and seeing your collection - and it is obviously only part - I wish I could have afforded both. You should put your collection on that display sub-forum, where all members could see it . Mervyn

Mike,

you mean this one? It is the 1818 pattern and to the 2nd Dragoon Guards. It's a heavy bugger so the DGs must have been large men.

2ndDragoonGuardsOfficers1818-12800.jpg

Yes, that's the one! It looks like it would be heavy. :speechless1: In all of the paintings and drawings I've seen of soldiers and officers wearing this model helmet they looked amazingly graceful, although a bit top heavy!

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Stuart, the shako that is on the same shelf as the 1818 heavy dragoon helmet, is that an early hussar shako from the pre-busby days or a light dragoon shako, the predecessors of the hussars?

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike,

I don't know to what unit that shako belongs but it is early Victorian period. I bought it from Blunderbuss in London many years ago but they could not identify it and I haven't been able to since. It might be a Yeomanry unit but, as I say, I haven't been able to identify it.

Tomorrow I will look at it again and probably post it as a separate topic for ID. Someone out there will know :)

..................PS: Fuller's London Pride and/or Double Diamond

Are those the empty bottles you're using as display stands? (I actually have a few pikelhauben propped up on empty lager cans at the moment, prior to sorting out my display area).

Leigh,

I use perspex tubes which I have now covered with black stockings to give a better look. I had little cushions made up and these fit in the crown of the helmet and cushion (yes I meant that) the helmet from the edge of the tube as well as distribute the weight better.

My photographer friend Nick was up here yesterday to photograph that ADC's Wolseley and so I had him do the collection as a whole as well. When he has finished editing the photos I will post in the collections area.

Stuart