News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Very Unusual Group

This group puzzles me. Order of the British Empire (Class?), Most Venerable order of St. John of Jerusalem Serving Brother, Defence Medal unnamed and a medal that I don't recognize and what the clasps stand for. The last medal is the only one with edge engraving.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

The last medal is the Service Medal of the Order of St John. Originally awarded for 15 years service (less if overseas) it is now awarded for 12 years service and each bar represents a further 5 years service.

Thanks Paul!!! What Class/Grade is the Order of the British Empire? Also, does the Defence medal fit in with this group?

Miss Helen Marion Wallich was made a serving sister in the 15 January 1960 London Gazette. She received her civil MBE in the London Gazette of 1 January 1953 for service as the Assistant Secretary, British Empire Leprosy Relief Association.

She died 4 December 1973.

Thanks Paul!!! What Class/Grade is the Order of the British Empire? Also, does the Defence medal fit in with this group?

As Jeff has already replied, it is an MBE. The Defense Medal does fit, she could have got it if she did home front related work with the Order of St John.

I originally picked up this group because I always wanted an Order of the British Empire in my collection. This group exceeded all of my expectations. I will have it framed with her information. She had 30 years of service helping others and certainly deserves the awards.

You've done very there. It's a wonderful group. It's a fair bet that she served with The St John's Ambulance Brigade during WW2. They supported the official emergency services and still do. She might have driven an ambulance during the Blitz or something like that. Very researchable.

PK

You've done very there. It's a wonderful group. It's a fair bet that she served with The St John's Ambulance Brigade during WW2. They supported the official emergency services and still do. She might have driven an ambulance during the Blitz or something like that. Very researchable.

PK

Where do I start? :speechless: I've never been very good at researching British ODMs. What am I looking for; National Archives :speechless1: London Gazette :speechless1: what else?

:o Doc

Born September Quarter 1894, Worthing, Sussex, England. Parents Leonard M. and Mary I. Eldest child.

Came to Canada on "Empress of Ireland" Montreal, 30 Aug., 1912

In 1922 coming back from Spain, intended residence Norwich, profession - stenographer.

Born September Quarter 1894, Worthing, Sussex, England. Parents Leonard M. and Mary I. Eldest child.

Came to Canada on "Empress of Ireland" Montreal, 30 Aug., 1912

In 1922 coming back from Spain, intended residence Norwich, profession - stenographer.

Michael,

Where/How did you get this information? I was able find and print her Gazette page.