News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH PM AND CABINET UNDER ATTACK

I have shown a number of rare tipstaffs on this forum - however, they were discontinued in the 1880's when warrant cards - or, I.D.'s - were introduced. Drawings of them in use are exceedingly rare - however - the event shown here is one of the great incidents of the 19th Century.

THE CATO STREET CONSPIRACY as it came to be known, involved the killing of the Prime Minister - Lord Liverpool - and his entire cabinet, whilst they were at dinner in Grosvenor Square. The leader was a disturbed man, who thought if they could kill the leaders, then the 'oppressed' masses would rise. Rumours of their conspiracy had become known and the Govt., with Bow Street Police Office in charge ( remember the Metropolitan Police were not formed until 1829) had been keeping them under observation. On the evening of 23 Feb. 1820 , 18 conspirators met - the famous Bow Street Runners - England's first detective force - with the support of the Guards - set-up a raid and as they rushed in Smithers - a senior 'Runner' was stabbed.

11 of the conspirators were charged 5 were publicly hanged (commuted from hanging, drawing and quartering) and 6 were transported to Australia. (prob. today's cabinet ??) Within 2 weeks, the famous artist Cruikshank had drawn the incident and on Mar.9 1820, this broadsheet - as they were known - was being sold on the street. (I will continue this short history under the next post.)

This is the full size of the print - I cut the one down above, to show the central action more clearly. There is always a problem with flash on glass.

THREE tipstaves can be seen being carried - showing the great importance they had in those days. Smithers is seen dropping his, as he is stabbed - the Runner behind him is holding his tipstaff forward - and the Runner coming up the stairs is holding a larger tipstaff - more typical of the Bow Street Constables for that period.

Strangely enough, I bought this original Cruikshank print from a man in Capetown, Sth.Africa.

This is the detail panel from under the print - hopefully, it will be big enough to read.

These prints were printed in B&W and hand coloured. Because ordinary people could not afford newspapers and often, could not read or write - that did not stop the healthy interest about what was going-on around them. These broadsheet were quickly turned out and sold on the streets - prices varied, but usually a penny , up to 4 pennies. The overall size of the print is 18.5 "

(app.40cm) x 11 " (27cm)

I should have said - the figure climbing top right - is a Guardsman, the figure climbing top left, is trying to escape..

The pattern of police sword Smithers is wearing, is the 'D' shaped hilt - previously illustrated on this forum.

To hang - draw and quarter. I wonder how many people realise that this was a common form of punishment for very serious cases and where the Govt. wanted to make an impression on the public.

First, they were hung - but not killed. They were then taken down - their bodies cut open and the entrails removed. The bodies were then 'quartered' - or, cut into sections. This would be head, arms, legs and torso. These parts were then sent by horsemen to main cities all over England and hung in special iron cages over the main gates. There would be a notice saying why he had been executed.

You wonder if it ever achieved anything - crime never seemed to drop !!

*FULL COPYRIGHT IS CLAIMED ON THESE FOUR PAGES - NOT TO BE RE-PRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION*

Edited by Mervyn Mitton