News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another "Maximum" 11 Bars KGL MGS Medal

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Frederick Nels of the 1st Hussars, King's German Legion received 11 bars of the 15 possible for his regiment. No one else from his regiment survived to receive more than 11 bars for Peninsular battles.

FIFTEEN 11 bars in 1850. Fast forward to Anno Domini 2009. Please find me the other 14 and report back to the well-paid but appallingly indifferent editors and compilers of the Official British Price Guides, wilya?

Magically Epsonized for the Traveling Museum. :cheers:

Talavera (27-28 July 1809: 3,107 bars total, of which 81 to this regiment)

Busaco (27 September 1810: 3,522/72)

Fuentes d'Onor (5 May 1811: 1,023/71)

Ciudad Rodrigo (8-19 January 1812: 3,208/66)

Salamanca (22 July 1812: 6,791/74)

Vittoria (21 June 1813: 10,244/69)

Pyrenees (28 July-2 August 1813: 6,331/73)

Nivelle (10 November 1813: 5,184/83)

Nive (9-13 December 1813: 4,680/5) (EASY: ONLY HAVE TO FIND OTHER FOUR for Official Price Guides! :rolleyes: )

Orthes (27 February 1814: 5,597/74)

Toulouse (10 April 1814: 8,309/74)

Guest Rick Research

Now sit back, boys and girls. Today I came across August Finkam's 1901 collection pamphlet--

of the TOTAL of 1,230 GSMs awarded to the KGL...

15 had 11 bars-- and we have had the never-again-in-a-lifetime privilege of seeing (and me of handling) 2 of those 15!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

WHERE ARE THE OTHER 13? Do ANY OTHERS EVEN STILL EXIST???

Whew! Finkam also reported that the "Pyrenees" bar was PARTICULARLY sought after by GERMAN collectors of the KGL :P because the bar "Pyrenees" was only granted to two companies--

a single squadron of the 1st Hussars under Lt. Cordemann

and the 4. Fu?-Batterie of KGL artillery. :catjava:

British "Official Prices Guides" be well and truly ***-******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Darrell

Rick, very nice. I assume by your post it isn't part of your collection in the old dusty, owl infested dungeon?

:catjava:

Guest Rick Research

No. The Traveling Museum comes by every few months (if I am lucky) and I merely operate the Epson for the amazement and enjoyment of all. :beer:

Rick,

I have never taken too much notice of the prices in the MYB - there are far too many variables.

In the 2009 MYB there is no remark about KGL MGSMs being worth less than others, only thatRegiments have some bearing on the value with 52nd,88th and 95th of Foot commanding a premium

Ralph

• 3 years later...