News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kappenabzeichen: WW1 Unit & Patriotic Military Cap "Tinnies"

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Here are some Sch?tzen and J?ger ones:

Top left: 1914 1917 over Steirisches J?ger Bataillon No. 9

Top right: Weltkrieg 1914 15 16 over 19 Krakow 17 and L.I.R. 17. I know-- "LIR" isn't J?ger-- but the unit number is enclosed by a J?ger horn so there must have been SOME unit descent? This is the first one I've seen from an Austrian-Polish garrison town

Bottom left: 1914 1915 1916 1017 K.k. Sch?tzen 8 Regiment. Finely modelled scene of wherever their garrison town was

Bottom middle: Kais. K?n. Sch?tzen Regiment 26. Bent prongs instead of a pin on back.

Bottom right: Sch Rgt. 30. A lovely well made badge with distinctive color.

Guest Rick Research

Feld J?ger Bataillon 17 is out of numerical sequence from the above, but since there are TWO badges, will show them together for size reasons.

The commemorative one at 250% because it is harder to read. Although at first this appears to commemorate a deceased ("Ad Memoriam") former commander 1914-1916

Obstl. v. D?ckelmann FJB 17 4-7. IX.915...

Oberst Rudolf D?ckelmann von Dublany (in Inf Rgt 4 before the war), holder of the Leopold Order-Knight with War Decoration... was very much alive in 1917.

Guest Rick Research

HEAVY guns!

Left: Festart Rgt No. 4 An allen Fronten (uh, HOW did they GET ... anywhere? :Cat-Scratch::speechless1: )

Middle: K-u-k 10c/m Turmhaubitz=Batterie 3/6B MGA-Pozza Weihnachten 1916 (turrent howitzer shown set up in open mountain air)

Right: K.u.k. Fs. Art. B. 61914-1917 In treue fest auf jeder Front (showing a fortress turret howitzer --again-- hwo was such a unit MOBILE?)

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Wups. I was trying to keep related bunchs in unit number order, but have made a jumble of these. :blush:

Divisions--

Top left: 21 Landwehr Inf. Trp. Division (Gurschner with double clipback rather than pin)

2nd left top: 12. rt. Sch. Div. (another Gurschner-- what a beauty)

2nd right top: 29. ITD 1914-1917 (Gurschner, designed by Dr. R. Fr?hlich)

Top right: 22. Sch?tzen Division (a zinky Gurschner)

Bottom left: 34. J.T.D. 1914-16. (another Gurschner zinky)

Bottom middle: 57. J.T.D. 1914/15 Doberdo A (in the central panel) with left and right panels having Serbien 1914 and Serb. Alb. 1915 repsectively. (another zinky Gurschner, designer Oberltn. Baron (WHO???? I find no such Baron) Czibulka)

Bottom right: 1917 Verst?rkte. J.T.D. 215 (yet another zinky Gurschner)

Gurschner's pins were normally such good quality that these zink ones surprise me-- and I wonder just how many of the UNMARKED zink pins out there are unmarked Gurschners?

• 7 months later...

Here are some Sch?tzen and J?ger ones:

Top left: 1914 1917 over Steirisches J?ger Bataillon No. 9

Top right: Weltkrieg 1914 15 16 over 19 Krakow 17 and L.I.R. 17. I know-- "LIR" isn't J?ger-- but the unit number is enclosed by a J?ger horn so there must have been SOME unit descent? This is the first one I've seen from an Austrian-Polish garrison town

Bottom left: 1914 1915 1916 1017 K.k. Sch?tzen 8 Regiment. Finely modelled scene of wherever their garrison town was

Bottom middle: Kais. K?n. Sch?tzen Regiment 26. Bent prongs instead of a pin on back.

Bottom right: Sch Rgt. 30. A lovely well made badge with distinctive color.

The first of your badges shown on plate one are as

follows.

! Field Jager Bn 8 from Styria ( HQ Graz)

2 Landwehr/Schutzen IR 16 (LIR/Sch) showing the towers of St Mary's and St Adalbert's Kracow.

To my knowledge at least two differnet design badges were available to members of this regiment in 1917

If you want another depiction of Cracow look at Fortress Artiller Rgt 2 , this depicts the outer defense line.

In fact a few other towns were depicted on "kappenabzeichen"

3 LIR/Sch IR 8 (Prague). The badge depicts Prague Castle and the Cathedral as seen from Charles Bridge. The old HQ of LIR/Sch 8 is still standing not far from the Cathedral.

Again to my knowledge two different designs of badge were available to members of this unit during the war.

4 LIR/Sch IR 26 ( Marburg/Maribor ) Slovenia . The badge depicts the town arms.

To my knowledge this regiment had at least three different badges during the war.

5 LIR/Sch IR 30 (Hohenmuth now Vysoke Myto CZ).

I hope I have been able to help by adding the odd bit of information to what you know.

If you are interested I may be able to add a little about some of the other badges you show.

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: Thank you. I have always liked these because there are so many different ones-- and most are well made. The details on many of them is amazing and can really only be seen magnified by scans like these.

• 2 weeks later...

:cheers: Thank you. I have always liked these because there are so many different ones-- and most are well made. The details on many of them is amazing and can really only be seen magnified by scans like these.