News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I don't suppose that there are many people in the World - at least , those of a certain age - who haven't heard of the Metropolitan Police Flying Squad ? What a lot won't know, is the reason for their establishment. In the early 1930's a number of gangs set-up in London, robbing shop, banks and similar targets. They always stole powerful, fast cars for their get-aways - a smart move since the police vehicles of the day hadn't a hope of catching them - and, one has to remember, wireless cars barely existed and used morse code ! There were a lot of committees - a lot of head scratching - and eventually they decided to set-up a serious crime squad, to be based at New Scotland Yard. Because the current vehicles were out classed, they 'splurged' and bought a number of Bentley cars - powerful and faster than almost anything then on the road. The 'nick name' The Flying Squad took firm root with the British public and has never been forgotten. And, Yes ? They did have the desired effect and stopped the crime wave.

Their famous badge - the swooping eagle , is shown on the plaque. The elite unit still exists and has , virtually the same job - serious crime - however, they don't get Bentley's any more.

The eagle is still proudly worn on the tie by many of my work colleagues Mervyn. Another unusual fact that some people may not know was the use of Police drivers for the squad. A much sought after job!!!!!!!!!! screaming around town in high performance cars :rolleyes:

Hi ! Yes, you're quite right, uniformed police (in plain clothes) were used to drive the Squad's cars. They had to be Class 1 drivers - which was for area cars and special vehicles. I was only a class 3 - Panda cars, the patrol Hillman and the van. A friend of mine Mike Sutherland - long before your day - was one of them - quite an experience to have him drive - fast, safe but, no messing around. Trips used to take half the time ! He finished his days at King's Cross looking after the Station vehicles.

And of course are immortalised in cockeny rhyming slang as "Sweeney Todd". The title of the 70's cop show about the squad "The Sweeney" with my favourite line by DI Reagan to armed blagger "We're the Sweeney son and we have'nt had our dinner" Class

Ah yes, role models for a generation of CID men - perms, bandido 'tashes, kipper ties & a variety of coloured shirts with white collars.

Or was that down to Kevin Keegan?

The show got Cockney rhyming right only - use the first word only , it's not correct cockerney ettiquette to use the second word in slang - it's "the Sweeney" not"the Sweeney Todd", it's "the apples" not the "apples & pears" & ee's "mutt" not "mutt an Jeff" etc.

Not a lot of people know that.

I suppose it's gone back that way now after all the Miami Vice rolled up sleeves & no socks & whatever else came along over the years, now we've got Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes on TV.

Funny how the Sherlock Holmes look's never come back in though........