News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, here is an article I wrote explaining what each of the clasps to the 1870-71 KDM were for:

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/KDM_1870-71.htm

It's sort of a clasp-driven summary history of the Franco-Prussian War.

Nice piece, Dave. Thanks.

Makes me regret letting mine go some years back. Thanks again?

IPB Image

Cheers Jason.

I am curious about these bars...and before i leap in at the deep end...i want to learn about these bars.

So i have been looking at one with the Paris and Gravelotte St privat bars but do not want to buy a fakery.

That saxon bar is quite cute! cheers mate!

I am still looking in wonder at the Bar that came this morning...its soo much nicer to behold in the hands!

anyway i will look at more examples of the campaign bars... i will photoshop it a bit more and see if i can get it to show up better........

Regards

Paul

Edited by notned

Gentlemen,

A Saxon example.

Why do I always have to be the nitpicker? :P

Not Saxon, but Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar. Unless the context is clear (e.g., "Saxon duchies" when referring to the three duchies of Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Saxe-Meiningen), to avoid confusion the term "Saxon" should be reserved for the Kingdom of Saxony.

By the way, really nice bar. The Silver Merit Medal with Clasp and Swords (silberne Verdienstmedaille mit Bandschnalle und Schwertern), the Saxe-Weimar equivalent of the 1870 Iron Cross, is pretty uncommon. Saxe-Weimar's enlisted EK equivalent in World War One, the General Honor Decoration with Clasp and Swords (Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen mit Bandschnalle und Schwertern), is patterned after this award.

Interestingly, Saxe-Weimar's regiment, IR 94, fought at W?rth, Sedan, and Orl?ans, but none of those bars are present. By the combination, the bar may have belonged to someone in another Saxon or Thuringian unit in the XII (Saxon) Army Corps. So maybe there's no nit to pick after all, as the recipient might have been a Weimeraner (the person, not the dog) in a Saxon unit or a Saxon who otherwise drew the Grand Duke's attention.

:cheers:

David Gregory - Here is the reverse of the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar group that you requested.

Dave Danner- Be a nitpicker, we need 'em. In recording history, accuracy is paramount. In this cas, I must plead casual ignorance because in my collecting endeavors, I try to avoid "Saxony" (kingdom, duchies, et al.) as there is just too much to it. I wil be more precise in the future. Thanks.

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

Wild Card,

Thanks for showing that. I suspected to see something very similar to the later Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen, as Dave D. pointed out above.

So many 2-medal bars of that era seem to be the standard Kriegsdenkm?nze and Centenary medal, this one is a refreshing change.

It must also be fairly scarce.

David

Hi Dave,

Nic Bars!

Thanks for showing!

Now one question...

I have seen a few bars with the single prong for suspending the medal on the reverse...with the medal beign attached from the front.

Why would the Jeweller /assembler leave this pin there and carefully cut a hole for it to poke thru the felt backing...?

Perhaps as a tensioning device for keeping the bars pin closed? hmmmmm....worth thinking about...

Cheers Gents

Paul

Hello all,

@ Stogie: "Hi Heiko, still in pain?? I hope you are OK. The last group of 3.... is that the set from Ziege with the matching miniature?? "

No this is not the one from Zeige, I had it since some years....

@Bob: "Heiko, how close are you having every battle clasp for the 1870-1871 War?"

Bob, I think there are some more of the official ones missing, but not very much... the problem is that I am collecting ALL german imperial battle clasps, that means for the 70/71 medal, for the Baden medal, China medal, Southwestafrika medal, colonial medal, Kyffh?user medal, veteran org. clasps, regimental clasps, EK clasps and so on... I think if I want to have ALL possible clasps I need to get some 200 more... (and I have allready some hundreds... :speechless:

Here is a beautiful example of the 1895 jubilee clasp for the 25th aniversary of the 70/71 war - very rare!!!

Heiko

Gentlemen,

Something in Dave Danner?s post (#43) caught my attention as it pertains to something that has puzzled me for years. Specifically, I am referring to the ribbon on the General Honor Decoration (medal, on the far left).

Normally the ribbon on this medal has side stripes in a more orange shade of red, like those on Red Eagle decorations. This, for lack of a better term, ?brick red? stripe is so commonly seen on the Hannover Jubilee medals that I am convinced that it was the original issue; but I have never seen anything that would substantiate this. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,

Wild Card