News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 m14? Prussian Infantry Pickelhaube

Hello,

Let me start off by saying I rarely delve into Imperial German pieces so by no means am I an expert on these pickelhaubes. I came across this one though and felt pretty good about its authenticity. Possibly the spike and badge have been retouched/painted (it looks like the proper oxidization used on the 1915 models), but other than that it looks to be all original. It has an interesting stamp on it as well, something about a "Rehabilitation Center ... in Indiana". I will post the pic of the stamp, but it appears to be some kind of military rehab hospital stamp, so maybe it was given as a gift or was on display there, maybe someone can shed some light on it. Also, I think it is a Prussian EM M1915 model but I am not 100% certain on that part (like I said, this was kind of a one-off on these, not a regular collector of them). Any comments as to any pieces that have been replaced/repainted are welcome as I would like to know the complete story on this one.

Thanks!

Pat

Edited by Avitas

Here is a close-up of the stamp from Indiana. This is the neat mystery as this stamp has been on there for a LONG time! Any ideas on this stamp and its purpose on this pickelhaube?

Pat

Here is the last pic, of the inside and liner (which has seen better days!). The leather is getting very thin and fragile, any ideas on preserving it? I have been told that handling it with your hands is good as it absorbs the natural oils and prolongs the life of the leather. Any and all information and comments are great!

Thanks in advance,

Pat

The grey finish actually looks like the original oxidization of the steel fittings after some closer research, it is hard to tell, but the colour and texture seems to match, it is definitely not paint. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by Avitas

I noticed it was missing the cockades as well, and the chinstrap looked in a little better condition than the rest of the leather so that makes sense. Is there any way to add the missing cockades to the helmet?

Thanks,

Pat

I noticed it was missing the cockades as well, and the chinstrap looked in a little better condition than the rest of the leather so that makes sense. Is there any way to add the missing cockades to the helmet?

Thanks,

Pat

They're easily added by rotating the chinstrap fittings so the indent matches up with the "teat"on the stud, adding the Kokarden, then replacing the strap. I may have a spare pair. Will PM you.

You can buy unpainted or painted reproduction cockades from a number of dealers online, it is possible to pick up original Prussian black & white & the red, white, black reich cockades more commonly than others, I spotted some a few days ago on web sites but can't remember where as I was'nt looking for them.