News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A pair from a broken group

Riley1965

This pair of Samar Seva Star and Pashimi Star was awarded to:

304279 Peon Mohan Lal, MES (A peon is a clerk)

This pair was obviously part of a Court Mounted group. I had to pull the black thread off of the meal.

I HATE it when people break apart any group but espsecially a court mounted group. I would gladly have paid for the whole group. Barbarians :angry:

:beer: Doc

• 5 months later...

This pair of Samar Seva Star and Pashimi Star was awarded to:

304279 Peon Mohan Lal, MES (A peon is a clerk)

This pair was obviously part of a Court Mounted group. I had to pull the black thread off of the meal.

I HATE it when people break apart any group but espsecially a court mounted group. I would gladly have paid for the whole group. Barbarians angry.gif

beer.gif Doc

You are completely right, it is so disheartening to run across broken up groups. I once a long time ago was able to united a Cased Hauge (spelling) 1907 Peace Delegates medal (named) with the Rear-Admirals bar mounted medals. A dealer in Great Britian had sold them separaterly. The Hauge medal was in New Zealand, I traded for it. I live in California, USA.

Yes it is a shame that the whole group could not have remained together. In this case your fellow served in a combat zone during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War (Samar Seva Star) as well as in a combat zone during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan conflict, in the western theater as indicated by the Paschimi Star. Missing are the Raksha and Sangram Medals issued for service during those two conflicts. I would bet that there were at least five and perhaps six medals to this group.

Still a nice pair Doc. Are you going to court mount them to assure they stay together once they leave your protection (in another 100 years)?

Regards

Brian

"Type" collectors have a lot to answer for ("Type" = "one of each medal/clasp")

I've also heard that 30 odd years ago it wasn't unusual for dealers to sell the decorations separately from the medals.

Definitely missing a Rakhsha Medal and Sangram Medal. Almost certainly missing a 25th Anniversary Medal and 9 Year LS. Possibly missing a Sainya Seva Medal.

"Type" collectors have a lot to answer for ("Type" = "one of each medal/clasp")

I've also heard that 30 odd years ago it wasn't unusual for dealers to sell the decorations separately from the medals.

Definitely missing a Rakhsha Medal and Sangram Medal. Almost certainly missing a 25th Anniversary Medal and 9 Year LS. Possibly missing a Sainya Seva Medal.

I think this is common everywhere. With so many single medals on the market you just know they were in groups at one time or another. I remember when the price of silver went up and people were selling the WW I BWM to be melted down and keeping the Victory Medal, or selling it to a collector. This was here in Canada where you can only blame greed. At least in India you can understand selling what you can however you can to try to scratch out a living. True it is the dealers who broke up the groups but it may have been a case where singles would sell faster than groups and cash flow rules.

I totaly agree with your suggestion reagrding the possible missing medals Michael. A possible group of seven gone forever.

Regards

Brian