News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just another "800" EK 1 1914

jens-

bee-yoo-tiful cross, and in very fine

shape.

interesting to see enough wear on the lower ridging

only, with the core in terrific shape. it

must have been in such a position as to rub

on something else on the uniform.

i wish i knew more about uniforms to take

a stab at what might have caused it,

a fine addition to your collection!

joe

Jens,

I do not think it is "just another" EK 1. I believe mine is a almost an exact match, including the wear on the lower arm! I have a theory on this wear point, most issue wound badges are made of steel. If you look at most photos of the EK 1 and wound badge worn together, the wound badge is worn directly below the EK1. During the course of normal service during wartime, I believe the wound badge and EK would meet and rub together creating the wear on the lower front arm of the EK 1. Since the steel is harder than the silver, the silver would become worn, not the steel. Here is the obverse of mine. I keep forgetting that digital will make every speck of microscopic dust look huge.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Although it is partly visible on the last photo, it is marked "WS" for Wagner and Sohn of Berlin. This was the first EK 1 I ever bought, it is still one of my favorites. One thing for sure, it did not sit in a desk drawer the entire war. Minty is nice, but I love the salty ones. You know they have "seen the elephant". Aaarrgghh, attack of the green crud! I have removed it now though.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Hi,

Imo two nice honest crosses imaged in this thread but they are definitely not from the same maker - cores (crowns, Ws and dates) are way different for a start. Beading on the frames also appears different. Jens, I'm not at home so I can't make any comparison with my examples to help you ID this one.

Dan, I like the rubbing theory - I've never really given wear patterns much thought but it makes a lot of sense!

Regards

Mike K

• 7 months later...

Jens,

I do not think it is "just another" EK 1. I believe mine is a almost an exact match, including the wear on the lower arm! I have a theory on this wear point, most issue wound badges are made of steel. If you look at most photos of the EK 1 and wound badge worn together, the wound badge is worn directly below the EK1. During the course of normal service during wartime, I believe the wound badge and EK would meet and rub together creating the wear on the lower front arm of the EK 1. Since the steel is harder than the silver, the silver would become worn, not the steel. Here is the obverse of mine. I keep forgetting that digital will make every speck of microscopic dust look huge.

Dan Murphy

Hi Dan,

I see you think as deeply as I do concerning the how, and why our collectibles appear the way that they do. I have a cross on the way (I believe a KAG), that exhibits the same wear pattern. I had studied pictures from the period, initially thinking that the wide leather belt may have been the culprit as an aviator was tossed about in his aeroplane (I know...vivid imagination), but the wound badge makes more sense. Here is mine. ;) I'll post some close-ups when it gets here.

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

Or perhaps it rubbed against their battle gear, webbing, belt etc....

Or worse, it rubbed against the bulge of his belly as he sat at his desk pushing paperwork.

Edited by dond

Jens,

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Good possibility. What would cause wear at all four of the arms? I have one that is worn at all four arms on the entire surface. I'll see if I can post it tonight. I'm thinking a lot of wear against maybe leather straps with buckles over a long period of time. I don't know, but very interesting theory.

Good possibility. What would cause wear at all four of the arms? I have one that is worn at all four arms on the entire surface. I'll see if I can post it tonight. I'm thinking a lot of wear against maybe leather straps with buckles over a long period of time. I don't know, but very interesting theory.

Hi, could be a lot of "face time" with the earth....like in trenches.... :unsure:

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

Tornister straps/buckles could cause wear in a lot of places. There was an awful lot of marching to and from the front.

Edited by Tom Y

Hi, could be a lot of "face time" with the earth....like in trenches....

Very possible if the core is worn equally (like mine). It also could have sat in a desk drawer face down for the last 80 years and slid back and forth every time it was opened or closed. :P:speechless: Talk about stealing joy. :angry:

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Tornister straps/buckles could cause wear in a lot of places. There was an awful lot of marching to and from the front.

Great photo, really shows how the wear and tear could take place, amazing that more crosses aren't in worse shape.

Hi,

Steven (and Jens if you look back in on this), do either of your crosses have any marks under the pin - a "v" or "y" perhaps?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike, I have looked , and did not see any. It is possible that I could have missed it though because the pin doesn't open more than about 45 degrees. But...if I am correct in assuming these marks were placed there after full assembly, there are probably none to be found on mine.