News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 151
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two interesting cuttings to add to this thread. Since we have added so many pieces I understand that many referrels are made from schools and also, two universities. Some of these are through our GMIC and also from Google, who pick-up so much material from our site.

The first of the cuttings refers to the annual Reed Dance - held in front of King Zwelethini and other dignitaries. 26,000 performed this year, wearing traditional costume for an unmarried maiden. Each holds a long reed and these are presented to the King as a sign of respect and of their chastity. There are many spectators - with Zulu men mostly in traditional dress - so, it is a very spectaculaer event.

The second cutting shows an old Zulu lady ( Zulu - GOGO or Grandmother. A term of affection and respect) being assisted by two younger family members. I am showing this because it illustrates the traditional Zulu Rondavel still being lived-in. The walls are covered with mud, around a wooden skeleton made from branches. The outer covering sets very hard - however, in heavy rain they can disintergrate. Much nicer then the Masai in East Africa, who use cowdung and you can smell the village from a long distance.

• 4 weeks later...

This is another unusual Zulu related item. After the final battle of the Zulu War of 1879 - the Battle of Ulundi - King Cetswayo fled inland, but was captured and taken on board a British Warship. He was taken to Caopetown and confined but, eventually was sent to England. Queen Victoria made a point of having him brought to Windsor to meet Her. Reports always say how She enjoyed the meeting and thought him a Gentleman. She presented him with a silver , three handled Loving Cup as a mark of Her friendship.

Eventually Cetswayo was allowed to return to Natal - however, there were a number of troubled years before his death and the Cup disappeared. Some years later it was found by a waggoner in a ditch outside of the town of Eshowe. There was quite a lot of damage, but this was restored and the cup is now in the Museum at Ulundi - the Zulu capital.

post-6209-026249000 1286553206_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In another inappropriate thread, the matter of a Zulu battle-axe in my collection was mentioned. Mervyn expressed interest, so I am repeating relevant information here, together with photographs of the axe.

The axe and a heap of other weapons were confiscated by police after a faction fight in the Tugela River valley in about 1950. I liberated the axe and an assegai from the pile of confiscated weapons. There were probably other souvenirs taken, but most of the weapons were subsequently destroyed.

The axe head is no longer in its original handle and has been fixed to a stout stick 86 cm long. The second photograph shows the ingenious method used to hold the axe head tightly in position. The work was clearly done by a Zulu blacksmith 'in the field' and not in a sophisticated workshop.

While this axe may not appeal to the purist collector, it does have the advantage of being an effective weapon that was carried, and perhaps used, in anger in a fight between two groups of Zulus.

Such faction fights still occur, but the weapons used are likely to be modern automatic rifles. I was told that the once common AK47 is now less favoured because ammunition has become difficult to acquire. Instead, the weapons used by the South Africa Police and South African Defence Force are preferred, because both guns and ammunition are easier to come by.

Brett

post-5077-047405700 1287667829_thumb.jpgpost-5077-050506400 1287667856_thumb.jpg

the bridegroom carves the headrest and he and bride each hold one of the half rings - during the ceremony and also in the festivities that follow.

Looks more like a bondage implement to me.... you sure its not for her to fix his hands behind his head before she has her evil way with him?

post-119-022635600 1287671108_thumb.jpg

Chris - only you would know about things like that..............

Brett - I am quite excited by your axe - it is the rarest of the rare. Whilst - as you say - it is not the original shaft, never-the-less it is a genuine Zulu carving and probably cut down from an Iquhbanga - or, Induna's (Chief) stick of office carried in the Kraal.

The Axe head is another story. Firstly it is the triangular shape adopted by the Swazi warriors - the King still carries one on official occasions.The Zulu shaped ones are more like hoes. However, the cross border trade was strong and many of this shape were used. Remeber though that an axe was really only carried by chiefs' and became a badge of office. The cost was too high for ordinary people. Now - look at the top of the head and you will see that it protrudes into an elongated shape - this happened during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 when British bayonets inflicted heavy losses and the chiefs tried to copy them by having the head made to a pointed shape.

I have shown several of these either in this thread - or, under our Zulu Iklwa thread. Very few were made - they are rare - very sought after and are valuable. Thanks Brett - a lovely item and a good find...... Mervyn

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 3 months later...

hi to all,

Apologies for a rather long absence from the forum!

Here is something for this thread (not a weapon I'm afraid, sorry), but I would be interested if anyone has anything to say about it.

I think it is a type of strigil (sweat scraper), made of horn, with a little snuff box perched on top. It's beautifully made. C19th, not sure from where. Nguni-speaking people but not necessarily Zulu. I've seen Zulu knobkerries with snuff boxes incorporated into the handles so this concept would seem fitting!

Mervyn - any thoughts?

Best,

Helen

Dear Helen - nice to hear from you - and what a wonderful little piece you have shown. Strangely enough I was thinking it was time we added to this post and I have a few items I will put on next week.

This little strigil is quite a common item with Zulus to clean the body of dirt and sweat. They are usually of stone or, bone - but, I have never seen one incorporating a snuff bottle. This will make it a very rare item and for insurance - think of about 700pounds ($1100)

The material is probably an antelope horn - lighter colour then a cow's. Shaped from one piece and the swelling end would have a hollow which forms the snuff container. The little pyramid top is made from an offcut. I have often seen this done with hippo teeth and ivory. To be used as a scraper the long section needs a curve - however, this also allows it to be carried stuck into the hair - which is how this would have been carried. An ornament - a mark of status - and, a useful tool all in one......

I should have asked the question - why not use a towel. The Zulus did not have cotton - or, any other type of cloth - which is why they traditionally wear skins.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

My apologies for a double post - Windows 7 seems very quick to reproduce itself. However, I will use the space to mention the type of tobacco that was used.

High quality tobacco grows throughout Southern Africa -- Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was famous for supplying most of the British needs. Zulus used to dry the tobacco and then mix it - the final quantities being to taste - with Dagga (Indian Hemp or, Cannabis). This also grows naturally and most of Europe's cannabis is from Natal !

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Splendid information as always Mervyn, thank you!

Interesting to learn that it may be something of a rare item...perhaps I ought to let our auditor know!

I did wonder how it might have been carried (tucked in a waistband or suspended from the neck, etc.) so now I know it would have been carried in the hair.

Best,

H

I promised to add some new items to Helen's post - actually I have built-up quite a lot, so will spread them over a few threads.

January 22nd. marked the 131st. Anniversary of the Battle of Isandlwana. The British Forces were quite soundly beaten on this occasion and this year - mainly because an election is coming soon - and the President of Uganda was visiting - President Zuma and King Goodwill Zwelethini were present. You can ignore the rest - however, the King is wearing ceremonial Leopard skins - lion's teeth and is carrying a ceremonial battle axe and an Iwisa - in this case a small ceremonial knobkerry. This makes it very interesting.

Northern Kwazulu Natal Zulu ladies still wear these elaborate headresses in old ceremonial dress. Their Zulu name is an Inkehli ( 'h' in Zulu is pronounced 'sh' - so, In-kesh-li). Women started to shape their hair into this shape round about 1900 - however, it was difficult to keep clean and hospitals and clinics used to have it cut off. They then started cutting their own hair and weaving it to this shape - as is still done today. Since it could be damaged when sleeping, the men adapted their stools to become a pillow - you will see many examples above.

• 2 weeks later...

Necklet of wooden beads believed to be called 'iziqu zomnyezane' and presented to Zulu warriors as an award for valour.

This one collected c. 1879 by James Andrew Kennedy whose estate was in Victoria County and said to be 'a pioneer in Natal' although I can't find out anything about him!

Helen

Edited by helen

Helen - the Iziqu , or Bravery Necklace is second only to the Ingxotha or, brass bravery arm band. Genuine Iziqu (would this count in Scrabble ?) are very rare. Unfortunately, because they are made from a thorn tree, there are a lot of forgeries. Obviously this is 100 % and is worth at least 2000 pounds ($3000).

Thankyou for putting it on - long time since I've seen one. Any other 'little' treasures ?

• 2 months later...

As always - it seems some time since we lasted added to this post. Just a few assorted items - all of which add a little to our knowledge on the Zulus. Despite being basically Christian, like so many tribes around the World , their beliefs are mixed with earlier traditions. They have a very firm belief in - what we would call - superstitious 'old wives' tales. There are still 'good ' and 'bad' types of witchdoctors - usually called Sangomas. They are consulted on a regular basis for medicine, advice and to put 'curses' on neighbours ! They also still believe in polygymy - and the President - who is Zulu - has three or, four wives.

This is a witchdoctor's flywhisk and is used in many ceremonies. To be struck with this at the time of the Zulu War in 1879 would probably have resulted in executuon. This probably dates back to that period - it certainly doesn't small too good !

The Zulus are more known for their skill in weaponry - carvings and sculpture are more the forte of the more Northern tribes. However, they do make some interesting attempts - although I have always felt that these may have been intended for Sangoma ceremonies. Brett very helpfully let me have these.

This one is of a different quality. Firstly, it is a bronze and not clay as for the first two. The detail is well done and it is named at the front "Kehle" - and old Zulu Man. I suspect it was probably made by an amateur artist living in Zululand a 100 years ago.