News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Légion d'Honneur

Bear

This is a fabulous thread with some most interesting portraits, and exceptionally beautiful decorations.  I hope some people will continue to post new portraits and medals.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    On 18/02/2023 at 00:59, Graf said:

loh1sev.jpg

There is a problem  the LOH and the clasp This clasp is probably British added later on to enhance the value of the Order. The problem is over a Century gap between two of them

Hi Graf,

I literally knew nothing about these until I read this thread tonight. I now know enough to prove just how little I know!
    But…

I wanted to see what possible connection between the ‘Sebastopol’ bar and your LOH there could be.

& I’m ever optimistic so here I go!

In 1856 the French agreed to the British issuing Crimea medals to 93,000 French involved in the campaign.

The medals and bars, delivered separately, did not get successfully. 
    👇 Medals without bars

= bars without medals.

770C351E-5A1B-4145-AEFB-9D4710DFAA71.thumb.jpeg.e10aae7c348858233995b4ece660ed2d.jpeg

As these bars/clasps were in France, are known to have been loose and separate from the British medals in large numbers, I think that explains where it came from.

I’m a cocky twat, I’d love to prove against the odds that the cross is from the mid 1800’s! 🙃

0E8020D5-71B5-459B-8E98-21F4FD75E0DC.thumb.jpeg.469c522db5901ca630a627c189977023.jpeg

But I can’t work out which type LOH it is you have to date it, which obviously matters.

Using the circled reference points I compared it to this chart of the different types…

F0FCE8B5-E557-4EA1-B16F-43DC6E6E745D.thumb.png.ada44810cb683fda9d687d052148f2e5.png

None of them matched yours using this and then I then found other images that were Inconsistent with the above so thought best to stop for now and ask you which it is…

Even if there is 50years between them I’d still rather believe they’ve spent 150+ years together in a drawer or tin together…

tony

Hi  You have done a nice research Congrats

The cross is First Empire Second model with fixed crown There is other variation of this model with mobile crown See picture beloow

The period is 1805-1808 The second and third models on your picture They are Officers in Gold the one listed is Knight in Silver

The Sebastopol campaign  was in 1856 The time difference is 40 years between this model LOH and the Clasp

006.jpg