News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Small British WWII Medal collection

I thought that i would post my ongoing WWII collection of campaign and service medals.

I have been collecting since i was 9 or 10, when my dad recieved a war, defence and 39/45 star as part of a coin colection he purchased at a fair. These were duly given to me and the rest is history. Its just a shame that i no longer have these 3 medals which first piqued my interest.

My collecting aim is to have one of each service medal and campaign star, with each combination of clasp available, and eventually in the case of named medals, each prefix available.

So here we go, service Medals first -

Defence medal

Edited by FrontlineAntiques

Does any one know of any Aussie or South African recipients of the defence medal? Presumably these would be Naval and aircrew?

No, one way of qualifying was six months' overseas service in an area subject to attack, which includes pretty well all of the Middle East.

Seehere for the Warrant setting out the areas.

No, one way of qualifying was six months' overseas service in an area subject to attack, which includes pretty well all of the Middle East.

Seehere for the Warrant setting out the areas.

Thanks for that Mike, i should have known that already!

I still havent seen any though.... :jumping:

Dan

Those oakleaf & oakleaf sprig emblems are a mystery to me - bronze sprig for WWI MID worn on Victory Medal & bronze leaf for WWII MID worn on War Medal, but there are silver versions for KIng's & Queen's Commendations & other things & the regulations surrounding their wearing are complicated.

Anybody enlighten me on these?

Nice medals, when your used to seeing anonymous medals stars or groups to Brits it's nice to see these medals named & attributable in their own right rather than via an accompanying document.

A WW2 South African mentioned in Despatches Group - with the citation - which is different wording to the UK. I think S.A. qualified as a war zone because of the shipping and coastline - certainly most of our groups seem to have one, at least, I have always assumed this was the case. Basic groups for S.A. are of 4, 5 or 6 medals. Four is usally North Africa - five if they went to Italy as well and six with the Defence. Don't forget we have the Africa Medal, whhich was rarely awarded to non Sth. Africans. Later in the War re-inforcements were sent direct to Italy and then it is 4 medals. Our troops were attached to the US under gen. Mark Clark and we reached as far as Florence. Field Marshall Smuts then re-called our troops due to unrest in S.A.. With this group he has his Efficiency.

• 4 months later...

Basic groups for S.A. are of 4, 5 or 6 medals. Four is usally North Africa - five if they went to Italy as well and six with the Defence. Don't forget we have the Africa Medal, whhich was rarely awarded to non Sth. Africans. Later in the War re-inforcements were sent direct to Italy and then it is 4 medals.

I believe very late reinforcements only received three, as they lacked the six months to qualify for the 1939-45 Star. Some Canadians only received the France and Germany Star in addition to their CVSM and War (or just the War if they were part of the NMRA conscripts who were ordered overseas late in the War.)

• 11 months later...