News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

gmumvri.jpg

Finally, after many, many years, I have completed this project. One day I thought it would be cool to replicate Manfred von Richthofen?s Ordenskissen, and it all begun with an EK II. I acquired piece by piece individually without ever destroying or dismantling any existing bar. Some pieces were easy to find, but very expensive. Others were not that expensive, but very hard to find, at least for me. For example, I searched without any success for over 8 years for the Imtiaz medal in silver, with sabers, and when I finally got one, it wasn?t that expensive! Fortunately, most of the awards were acquired during ?the good old days? when two Deutsche Marks were exchanged for one US dollar. All awards are, to the best of my knowledge, genuine. Some notes:

1. The ribbon bar is obviously a reproduction. I have seen many around. This one is special for me though because it was given to me by my friend, the late Neal W O?Connor. He had made two of them many years ago. The problem with this one is that the Hanseatic Crosses were arranged in a different order as they were in MvR?s original bar. Neal made another one, in the correct order, and this was displayed many years in his museum. Now this bar is in Berlin.

2. The PLM is post 1918.

3. I have displayed here a Bavarian MVO 4th class with crown and swords because one can see a crowned MVO on MvR ?s original Ordenskissen . Neal O?Connor maintained for many years that MvR had a MVO 3rd class with crown and swords, so he displayed one on the replicated Ordenskissen that it is now in Berlin. However, there is no evidence that MvR received the MVO 3rd or the MVO 4th with crown. It is currently maintained that MVR received a 4th class with swords only, with no crown. However, how could we explain the crowned MVO on MvR?s original Ordenskissen?

Manfred von Richthofen original awards as displayed on his funeral services in 1925

mvroriginalordensskissenqi0.jpg

I am still debating if I should mount all these medals onto an order bar?????????

Edited by GMU

I am still debating if I should mount all these medals into an order bar?????????

George,

Congratulations on putting everything together. It's been a while coming together.

My suggestion about whether to mount the medals onto a bar, or not, is do what NO did for his "famous chest" and simply wrap the ribboned medal around a carboard frame. You could put the "bar" in a ryker mount for display purposes, and leave the contents alone. Later if you ever wanted to dispose of the ribboned medals you could either sell the entire "bar" or remove them. Individually, and as a "group" they all add up to an impressive amount of money spent!

Again, a nicely done job!

Les

George,

Congratulations on putting everything together. It's been a while coming together.

My suggestion about whether to mount the medals onto a bar, or not, is do what NO did for his "famous chest" and simply wrap the ribboned medal around a carboard frame. You could put the "bar" in a ryker mount for display purposes, and leave the contents alone. Later if you ever wanted to dispose of the ribboned medals you could either sell the entire "bar" or remove them. Individually, and as a "group" they all add up to an impressive amount of money spent!

Again, a nicely done job!

Les

Hey Les!

That is a good idea. As a matter of fact, I have a complete set of new ribbons for each piece.

Thank you for the suggestion and for your comments :beer:

George

Hey Les!

That is a good idea. As a matter of fact, I have a complete set of new ribbons for each piece.

Thank you for the suggestion and for your comments :beer:

George

George,

Congrats on a very nice display.

A true labour of love.

Regards,

Sandro

Nice project!

Attached I?m showing a copy of the original signed receipt for the cross for heroic deeds lippe-Detmold.

Manfred v. Richthofen listed his awards (until 23 October 1917).

Best regards

Roman

Nice project!

Attached I?m showing a copy of the original signed receipt for the cross for heroic deeds lippe-Detmold.

Manfred v. Richthofen listed his awards (until 23 October 1917).

Best regards

Roman

Thank you Roman. Outstanding document.

This is the list I have so far.

mvrawardstable.jpg

Cheers,

George

Edited by GMU

Medal Bar

Yes, Daniel............I remember... Beautiful.

I looked for an Imtiaz for over 8 years !!

Did you, by any chance, keep the bare brass metal plate used in the order bar?

Edited by GMU

This is Neal W O'Connor's replication. It is now in Berlin. Please note the NWOC used the Bavarian Military Merit Order, 3rd Class with Crown and Swords.

richtmedalbarberlinnealoconnes1.jpg

This is the one displayed at San Diego Air and Space Museum. This display is missing several orders, and has one that MvR never got !!!

mvroksandiegozg6.jpg

I?ve updated MvR?s awards dates.

MvR received Bremen?s Hanseatic Cross on Sept 25, 1917, three days after receiving L?beck?s. I guess Hamburg followed shortly.

mvrawardstable.jpg

Edited by GMU