News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EARLY STH. AFRICA POLICE BADGES

The South Africa Police were formed in 1913 from a number of other Forces that were scattered around the Country. They are a para-military force. Their original name was South Africa Police - S.A.P. After 1994 and the change of Govt. they became the South Africa New Police - S.A.N.P. ( I think I've got that the right way around). In 1964 - when Sth. Africa left the Commonwealth - the Crown was discontinued and I show both sets of cap badge and collars. These were for officers. These photos are good for future reference and hopefully - Will, can post photos of the full uniforms and cross belts etc.. The numbers on the backing to the later ones are for the refs. in Owen's book on S.A.Badges.

Hi Mervyn,

This is one is W/M so may even be of a softer material/metal. Many of the badges I have in my collection and specifically the SAP, show signs of severe rubbing and polishing. Obviously a matter of pride and discipline.

• 3 weeks later...

The SAPolice was created in 1913, three years after the Union of South Africa was created by the amalgamation of four British Colonies into one country.

In 1957 the British Crown was removed from the SAP badges, which is four years before South Africa left the British Commonwealth and became a Republic.

Senior Officers also wore a more ornate cap badge in bullion wire and later in enamel

In 1994 the SAPolice came to an end when the South African Police Service (SAPS) was created by amalgamating all of the 9 or 10 Homeland Polices Forces and the SAPolice into one new National Force.

Plus members from the ANC and PAC Armed Wings who did not want to go to the Defence Force

Edited by unit8