News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Orders, Decorations and Medals

Hendrik. Thanks for that useful info. Does this also apply to the "Italian Badge for the WW2 Campaign in Russia "?

Pete

No, not quite : the badge is actually an official Italian decoration (albeit with a few changes - see below).

The badge was first manufactured on behalf of the Italian 8th Army Command by the Lorioli firm in 1943 for distribution among its units as a commemorative of their presence in Russia. Later that year it seems that Mussolini acknowledged its existence and broadened its scope to all units that had served or were still serving on the Eastern Front. Finally, the Italian Defence Ministry authorized the badge for wearing in 1967 but only as a 15.5 mm reduction and with the top knot removed (the latter indicating the Savoia Royal House).

The Lorioli made badges are the only genuine WW2 ones. They can be recognized by the "Fronte Russo" on the obverse being in a blueish varnish and having the firm's name and address as well as the "Modello Desposito No 38" on the reverse. Also noteworthy is the presence of 'slots" for a vertical pin which was never used as a diagonal suspension pin was put in place instead.

Postwar types do exist but these don't have the blue varnsih on the obverse nor the manufacturer's markings on the reverse.

Here are a few of mine.

1st.Eritrean Corp medal-Ascari wirh sword,Amharic lettering,Addis Abeba,list of battles

March on Rome

10th. Grenadiers of Savoi,flaming bomb of the 10th. Gren.,Addis-Abeba;Savoi-Itali-Impero reverse dates and Littoria,Royal Savoi Knot,A.XIV

Military order of Savoi W.W.1 Rich A.

Here are a few of mine.

Military order of Savoi W.W.1 Rich A.

Welcome to the forum ! :beer:

Very nice Savoia order you have there ! Any chance of a close up picture of that one ? It's not an award one sees very often !

Hendrik,Thanks! Here are 2 pics. Not the best(as usual for me). I did not know that is not a common medal.

Thanks again. As this thread implies,there is little/no interest in Italian militaria(here in the U.S.A.).

Rich A.

Hi Rich,

For the sake of completion : the Military Order of Savoy was created in 1815 by King Victor Emmanuel II upon his return to the throne of the then Kingdom of Sardinia after the fall of Napoleon I. Modifications to the original regulations were made over the years and since 1857 the order was awarded in 5 classes (Knight Grand Cross, Knight Commander, Commander, Officer and Knight) up till Italy became a republic. At that time, this order became the 'Order of Military Merit of Italy' with the main difference being the replacement of the cross on the obverse by the letters 'R.I.' (Republica Italiana).

The Military Order of Savoy was awarded to the armed forces for acts of bravery, for special distinguished services in war or for very exceptional service in peacetime and was primarily intended for officers. However, the knight class could be awarded to non-officers.

Here are a few more.

Iron Crown knight grade and presentation book to doctor Luciano of Foggia 1940

4th. Army cross W.W.1

25 year long service medal

Divisione Motorizzata"TRENTO" 102 medal

Rich A.

Nice Italian Crown Order with its book !!! I guess a few medals to the esteemed doctor have gone missing : with 25 years of service and a 4th Army Cross, one would expect to see a few more medals, especially WWI related ones.

Hendrik,Here are my modern medals. Albania/Etheopia medal,War Vol. medal,1940-1943 War medal w/year bars,1943-1945 war medal. Rich A.

Hi Rich,

Always nice to see some bars on the WW2 medals ! But an Albania/Ethiopia medal ? I think that's Albania only ... a larger picture of the reverse would help here.

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 6 months later...

Here's a nice modern group that came in the other day ... mounted as worn.

"Per la Sicurezza" cross with Afghanistan bar

"Per la Pace" cross with Bosnia and Kosovo bars

"Pro Humanitate" cross with Macedonia bar

UN medal with Former Yugoslavia bar

UN medal with Kosovo bar

UN medal with Article 5 bar

Due to the presence of the last medal, I think it's safe to conclude that this group belonged to an Italian Air Force recipient.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=49793]

And a nice MVSN Long Service Cross with red sword device indicating 20 years of service.

The Fascist Militia (Milizia Volontaria Sicurezza Nazionale) cross was instituted on 23 January 1933 to reward 10 years of service. In 1938 it was decided that a bronze sword should be worn on its ribbon and later, during WW2, a red painted sword was created to indicate a further 10 years of service.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=49794] [attachmentid=49795]

[attachmentid=49796]

Hendrik,Real nice ! I like the MVSN Long Service Cross best. Rich A.

Hello Rich,

Same here : although the modern medals do have their importance etc., the "old stuff" is still the best to me as well :P

:beer:

Hendrik

• 2 months later...