News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Orders, Decorations and Medals

And finally, the Mauriziana Medal - you need 50 years in the armed forces for this one. The award is a gold medal (which recipients are supposed to take great care of) accompanied by a gilt one for wearing - the one in the pictures below is ... the gilt version, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=58691] [attachmentid=58692]

A bit worn and very patinated but just as beautifull as it should be

Nice group Stijn !!! The rosette on the Italian ribbon has suffered as well and seems at some time to have fallen off and reaffixed on its ribbon ... obviously its recipient had plenty of occasions to wear his group of medals. Thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Rich,

Great looking book ... I love the pagefinder ribbon : in the proper colours :P

What are the contents ? Description of the various grades, regulations, anything else like perhaps a list of recipients ?

Cheers,

Hendrik.

Hendrik,Thanks! I have never seen another like this. Printed in 1941. 1 page is a certificate from 1941 to a Doctor in Foggia with his info about his Knight grade medal. Other pages have descriptions/lists of medals. Military Order of Savoia,Civil Order of Savoia,Order of S.S. Lazzaro & Maurizio,Ordre of Italian Colonial Star,Merit of Labor. Got this from a W.W.2 South African vet years ago.I was buying all the Italian badges he had/could get.I'd call him every couple of weeks and ask if anybody brought in Italian stuff. This is back when you could buy Italian brass badges for less than 50 cents each.It is not like that any more. Rich A.

Hallo Gents, :beer:

I was surfing the satalite T.V. channels here in Romania and came across an Italian station, Rai Ono, showing live, 6 high-ranking Italian officers getting various awards for service in Irag - Afganistan- Sudan - some connection with the UN was also mentioned. Some of them had some serious racks of eye-candy :love:

What was very interesting, was the days of the old pin into the chest are gone, the medals were stuck onto the erstwhile warriors chest with Velcro!! :o, as each recipient jacket had a pre-positioned piece of velcro hooks sewn on the uniform, all the President had to do was slap it firmly into place, shake his hand and that was it.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Gents, :beer:

I was surfing the satalite T.V. channels here in Romania and came across an Italian station, Rai Ono, showing live, 6 high-ranking Italian officers getting various awards for service in Irag - Afganistan- Sudan - some connection with the UN was also mentioned. Some of them had some serious racks of eye-candy :love:

What was very interesting, was the days of the old pin into the chest are gone, the medals were stuck onto the erstwhile warriors chest with Velcro!! :o, as each recipient jacket had a pre-positioned piece of velcro hooks sewn on the uniform, all the President had to do was slap it firmly into place, shake his hand and that was it.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

:o velcro? And I thought we were lazy in the Netherlands: our soldiers have to pin metal hooks to their uniforms for medal parades. The awarding authority just have to slip the unopened pin over that hook.

But the pro's are there too!!!

The soldiers don't have to suffer anymore from wrong pinned medals!!

If I'm correct Queen Victoria once pinned the Victoria cross into the man's breast......

The poor man didn't flinch.....

Nowadays we would prosecute those nasty breastpinners, so easier, painless and cheaper ;)

Kind regards,

Jacky

My latest and I love the idea : The Service Medal of the Offices for Notification of Military Families (created in 1919). The number of stars on the ribbon indicates the number of years served in the department.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=60039] [attachmentid=60040]

Thanks Rich !

Here's another interesting one from the same era : the Fiume Medal or "Medaglia Commemorativa della Spedizione di Fiume". On Fiume being given to Yugoslavia as war reparation, an Italian force of about 300 under Gabriele d'Annunzio marched on Fiume in September 1919 and declared it an independant state (Reggenza del Carnaro). It was shortlived as just over a year later, in January 1921, the starved occupants had to surrender. Also, it's not without interest to know that Mussolini copied the form of government that had been created in Fiume for his fascist Italy later on. You might like to wander over to my website and have a look at a medal group to one of d'Annunzio's bodyguard ... nice story I think.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=60127] [attachmentid=60128]

"Per la Sicurezza" cross with Afghanistan bar

"Per la Pace" cross with Bosnia and Kosovo bars

"Pro Humanitate" cross with Macedonia bar

UN medal with Former Yugoslavia bar

UN medal with Kosovo bar

UN medal with Article 5 bar

Just to clarify, the last three are NATO Medals, not UN Medals.