News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgium - Civil Cross?

I've had the cross in the attached photo for many years. I got it in the mid-'60's in London, possibly at the Angel market. I've always thought it was a Civil Cross 1914-18, but I've just had a look at Hendrik's site and now don't think so. It also doesn't seem to be the 1939-45 version. Possibly an earlier era. If so, what is the correct ribbon (and where do I get it)?

Hi Hugh,

It's neither but is the Civil Decoration for Long Service in the Administration, 2nd class - its ribbon is red with 3 black stripes. You can find it on my site under "Other Awards" and then look at the Leopold II ones.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hi Hugh,

It's neither but is the Civil Decoration for Long Service in the Administration, 2nd class - its ribbon is red with 3 black stripes. You can find it on my site under "Other Awards" and then look at the Leopold II ones.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks, Hendrik, I had just stumbled across it on my own whilst fumbling through your site. And believe it or not, I have it on the correct ribbon.

Thanks also for your response to my other questions.

Best,

Hugh

My next unknown is this medal which I believe to be a Long Service medal for Congolese native troops. Am I right? If so, how many years service?

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh,

Can you show the reverse as well ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Here it is. Please forgive the sticker; it's my way of keeping track of the collection. It's got a funny brownish lacquer on it.

Hugh

post-1655-1245615429_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hugh

... Please forgive the sticker...

Sorry Hugh, I can't : you've managed to put that sticker on the most important part of the medal, the one showing the shield of the Independent Congo State !!! ;)

OK, the ribbon has lost a bit of its colour (should be a darker blue) but that can only be considered normal after all those years (time frame for this medal is 1892-1912). The bar represents 3 years of service and the medal was indeed awarded to native members of the "Force Publique" but also to civilian labourers.

Nice one !!!

Hendrik

Sorry Hugh, I can't : you've managed to put that sticker on the most important part of the medal, the one showing the shield of the Independent Congo State !!! ;)

OK, the ribbon has lost a bit of its colour (should be a darker blue) but that can only be considered normal after all those years (time frame for this medal is 1892-1912). The bar represents 3 years of service and the medal was indeed awarded to native members of the "Force Publique" but also to civilian labourers.

Nice one !!!

Hendrik

Thanks, Hendrik, you've been a big help.

Hugh