News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Order of Merit" : Germany

I don't mean to be a bother but I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to be of some assistance. I've been trying for a while to get a collection of Modern German medals together but have lacked the finances until recently. Now I have the money but have been so far unable to track down a cased Medal of Merit can anyone point me to where I might be able to find one for sale?

Regards Will

Ralf Ganzel (Militaria Agent) has a couple of Medals of Merit, but not cased. He's also got a heap of Armed Forces Deployment Medals (Einzatzmedaille der Bundeswehr) with different clasps (mostly cased) and a full set of Honour Crosses (Ehrenkreuz) also mostly cased, if you are interested.

He, kind soul, is one of those who allows me to use images from his catalogue so I have lots to work on from there!

https://www.militaria-agent.com/

Edited by Megan

linden16,

As Megan has suggested, ebay.de is your best source for cased BRD awards. Postage from Germany, as i most country's these days, is expensive though. ebay.com also has some cased awards but infrequently. Almost all of the BRD articles I collect these days come from Germany.

Another option is the Estand on the Wehrmact Awards Forum (WAF). the estand is the sale section on the WAF. Here is a link to a high end cased DDR award that is for sale on the Estand right now. This is just to give you an idea of the type of award that shows up there. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777853

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks very much you guys. I did check Ralf Ganzel's site out but I'm very particular about the medals I buy and when it comes to modern medals I only go for cased and he doesn't seem to have any cased Medals of Merit. Ebay.de I had totally forgot about and seems to be the best bet as I see several of them for sale. WAF I've only ever browsed but I may just have to join over there.

Again thanks very much you guys and gals

• 1 year later...

Gentlemen,

I wonder what was the highest german medal that a Bundeswehr NCO could win for peacetime merit? The Verdiestmedaille? I don't know if their were any NCOs that won the Federal German Cross Second Class. Certainly not the First Class.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Hi Edward,

it is always based on the extent of the civilian engagement/deeds (see Post 26).

That could be for the "Verdienstmedaille" or for the "Verdienstkreuz am Bande".

I was able, to apply the "Verdienstmedaille" for a Master Sergeant, and he got the award. The main reason for the award was based on civilian deeds. In even more civilian activities and merits I could have requested the cross, but that is not easy to justify; especially for a NCO.

Normally, in the last decades, you can get the "Verdienstkreuz 1. Klasse" only several years after the award of the "Verdienstkreuz am Bande", with several new deeds. And that is not based on the rank of a soldier.

Uwe

• 1 year later...