News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gregory Naumovich Omelchenko, Order of the Red Banner Group

I got this nice little documented and researched group few weeks ago. It's from an office guy. Unfortunately the unumbered medals were not part of the group. Which should be Caucasus, Warsaw, Victory over Germany and 30 years of the Soviet army medals. However, these were included.

- Medal for Combat Service #1552563 NOV 1944

- Medal for Combat Service #1118229 SEP 1944

- Red Star #1595132 July 1945

- Red Star #2881318 June 1949

- Order of the Red Banner #395569 APR 1954

The group came with 38 pages of research! I'll spare some scans. The Red banner was awarded for long service, so I guess no need to include the scan.

The guy was a Finance officer in several Engineer units. He served in the army from 1933 to 1956.

Too bad he didn't killed 100 of facists, but it seems they needed those kind of guys in the planned economy. :rolleyes:

For the Russian speakers, here you can download it in pdf file without breaking your eyes!

http://rapidshare.com/files/247067762/research.pdf.html

Edited by Bryan

Guest Rick Research

We've seen a number of intendance groups, but this is the first actual paymaster. :cheers:

Was this a group that came researched, or did you decide to do it blind from the completeness of the serial numbered awards?

Could you show us the page from his service record showing his assignments from after the war until he was dumped out of the service in 1956 at age 45? I'm curious, because he was already at Brigade level during the war... so what were his jobs for the next 11 years while he remained at the "glass ceiling" rank of Lieutenant Colonel?

Hi Rick, thanks for your input. Is the document you are looking for in the .pdf document I have uploaded?

The group was already researched when I bought it, so no real surprise until I try to translate few things by myself. :unsure:

Guest Rick Research

I can't download things like that.

The page would be a long one, probably where his stamp sized blotchy photo (above) is at top left.

Am just curious what sort of jobs he had for the next 11 years. We've had Soviet supply/quartermaster and pure paper-shuffling intendantur officers, but this is the first paymaster/finance and am curious about what level unit had such a Podpolkovnik in charge. He'd have been at Corps level in the Wehrmacht.

Guest Rick Research

Yup, that's the page.

After the war, all of these as Chief Financial Officer/Inspector of Finances

22nd Egineer Sapper Regfiment 12.09.46

20th Tank Division 31.05.47

16th Anti-aircraft Searchlight Rgt 15.11.47

62nd Air Army 26.11.46 ((sic-- 1948? 1949?)

42nd Air Army-Anti-aircraft Defense (Baku) 20.02.50 through date 25.03.54 just changing job designations there

14.09.55 sent off for a course for higher finance command staff and

WHOMP "discharged for health" 24.03.56 with permission to wear uniform.

Flunked out? Cheated? Got drunk after class?

VERY intersting to see him switched over from "army" to "air force" 1950-56