News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A SAAF SQUADRON PATCH

post-5077-1245751831_thumb.jpg

Elsewhere in this forum an appeal is made for SAAF squadron patches, so I decided to open a new topic dedicated to this subject. My contribution is the patch of 2 Squadron, SAAF, the "Flying Cheetahs", which was adopted during the Korean War. As far as I know, prior to that SAAF squadrons did not have squadron patches. 2 Squadron was part of the US 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing in Korea and they copied the patch idea from their American comrades in this unit. The SAAF patches were made of silk in Korea by Korean ladies (and their sewing machines), who attached themselves to the UN forces to provide such housewifely services.

2 Squadron patches of this vintage are difficult to find.

Brett

post-5077-1245751831_thumb.jpg

Elsewhere in this forum an appeal is made for SAAF squadron patches, so I decided to open a new topic dedicated to this subject. My contribution is the patch of 2 Squadron, SAAF, the "Flying Cheetahs", which was adopted during the Korean War. As far as I know, prior to that SAAF squadrons did not have squadron patches. 2 Squadron was part of the US 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing in Korea and they copied the patch idea from their American comrades in this unit. The SAAF patches were made of silk in Korea by Korean ladies (and their sewing machines), who attached themselves to the UN forces to provide such housewifely services.

2 Squadron patches of this vintage are difficult to find.

Brett

Hi Brett,

Stunning patch and difficult to come by - I posted the appeal for SAAF Squadron patches - are you able to source any? Please let me know.

Regards, Gary (SAMedals)

Hi Gary

I collect items that relate to 2 Squadron in the Korean War, but no other SAAF material, so I don't have any other SAAF patches. However, tomorrow I am looking after a friend's militaria shop and I will check the stock there and, if it includes SAAF patches, I will let you know. He has had them in the past.

Regards

Brett

Hi Gary

I collect items that relate to 2 Squadron in the Korean War, but no other SAAF material, so I don't have any other SAAF patches. However, tomorrow I am looking after a friend's militaria shop and I will check the stock there and, if it includes SAAF patches, I will let you know. He has had them in the past.

Regards

Brett

Thanks Brett - Keep me posted - Cheers.