News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military General Service Medals to King's German Legion

Guest Rick Research

@Ulsterman

At the "Niedersächsisches Landesarchiv" in Hannover you can find microfiches of the "Stammrollen" of the former Hannoverian Army.

You can contact them via

Poststelle@nla.niedersachsen.de

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

Excekllent additions to the database, Detlev-- NONE of those three have ever turned up as noted in British sales since the 1890s. I have seen the same very few (frighteningly few) medals turn up over and over again, and the German sources I have indicate most of the ones sold around Hanover ended up in England anyway.

Now I shall keep eyes and ears open for those still-missing Waterloos--

the whole point is to get "half" pairs back together again. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

More surviving antedeluvian auction catalogs :speechless1: have come into my ancient paws, and thought these might be of some interest, not only for sales not known to Mullen, but for :Cat-Scratch: prices back in the Olde dayes--

The prices in this 1959 German auction amount to what was then ONE DAY'S PAY--

Guest Rick Research

OK, if you have recuperated from a 10 bar MGS fo a day's wages 50 years ago, SOMETHING changed in the next decade... sort of.

Here is a Captain's 6 bar MGS for what was then a WEEK'S pay in 1968:

Time travel is real.... ONE WAY. :banger:

• 2 years later...

Ok - maybe a little bit out of topic .... Iron plaque 'Legionendenkmal' 1803 - 1816 (1927)

Cast iron memorial war plaque for the 'Deutsche Legion' (King's German Legion), which was formed in 1803 to fight in the Napoleonic Wars.

Measures: 178 x 110 mm. A relief sculpture of the Hanoverian Horse rearing above a defeated enemy - the fallen man has lifted his shield to protect himself from the horse’s hooves. The two are situated on a base that displays the Legion’s motto "Nec Aspera Terrent" above 1803-1816.

Nec Aspera Terrent ... Latin for 'Undeterred by hardship' or 'Difficulties be damned'

The plaque is signed by H. Wedemeyer (1927, H. Wedemeyer, by Lauchhammer).

• 1 year later...