News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH CUSTOMS BADGE

Where to post this lovely gilt badge has been a problem - we don't really have a sub-heading to cover CUSTOMS. One of the most important parts of any Government , is the collection of money and before income tax was introduced in the 18th. Century, the collection of revenue from imports into Britain was most important. The Customs Service has a far longer history than the Police and in many cases, their powers were - and still are - far greater than other authorities. Money speaks !! With the medieval Kings one of their ways to honour and support their favourites, was to give the right to collect taxes on certain items. Precious metals, cloth - even salt - all could be given to reward someone.

When Police still consisted of a local village constable, there were organised bodies of men to prevent smuggling - known as the 'Revenue Men' - they often worked under the direction of the local magistrates. They had their own ships - Revenue Cutters - and many battles were fought with smugglers - particularly during the Napoleonic Wars, when goods were in short supply.

Today, their Headquarters are in a lovely Georgian Building , in Lower Thames Street - near the Tower of London. I am not sure if this is a standard badge - or, with the gilding, for officers ?

I would be interested to hear more about the Service - and also, about Custom Services in other Countries ??

Mervyn

Interesting badge. Certainly hasn't been standard issue for a long time.

We don't generally wear hats now - except for baseball caps.

Her Majesty's Customs & Excise no longer exists following merger with the Inland Revenue to form HM Revenue & Customs on 18 April 2005.

Things are about to change again - the uniformed officers of HMRC will soon become part of the United Kingdom Border Agency

There's some history here (not very upto date)

Customs History

HQ has not been in Custom House, Lower Thames Street for years, the place is still in use and is a very fine building indeed (at least from the outside)

Hope this is some interest.

Regards

Richie

Thankyou Ritchie - it would have been strange if we didn't have someone from 'Customs'. All of these name changes are very confusing, and to be quite honest, I can't see the purpose for most of them. After all - how does 'Border Agency' - something borrowed from the US - have any meaning in the UK ???

When I was at Bethnal Green we worked very closely with Customs and I had occasion to visit Lower Thames St.' H.Q. on several occasions - I don't visit London now, so I find it rather 'sad' that I have got old - and the rest of the World has moved-on !!!

Mervyn

We're everywhere - you just don't always realise it !

Didn't realise you were ex Job. How long ago did you leave ?

Did a lot of work in the East End a while ago especially round Brick Lane so I know the area quite well. Fair to say its an "interesting" part of the world - I think Tower Hamlets is the poorest borough in London.

I don't think you're missing much. I was born and bred in South London and used to love the place - now I'm sad to say I stay away as much as possible - noisy, smelly and over-crowded in my view.

I don't really collect Customs stuff although I would love to own a sword and some pistols from the "good old days". I suppose the best place for Customs collectibles would be close to the Police section.

Best wishes

Richie

BTW - we get confused by the name changes - but we're still Cussies at heart whatever the official name is.

Ritchie - my first permanent beat was Brick Lane and the area around it. Mostly Jewish in those days - now Bangladashi. I used to have three of Jack the Ripper's murder site - the last one they pulled down was at Hanbury Street. Having pull-it down - they have now re-built it as a museum!!!

I was a Home Beat or, Community officer - I served from 1967 to 1974, when my Father died and I became a Herbalist....

I agree with you about South London - I had family at Eltham, but couldn't stand that side of the river.

Best wishes Mervyn. (see if there's anything in the custom museum you could photograph.) As for being 'everywhere' that is quite true. When people come off the planes, they don't realise plain clothes are mingling to see who is nervous - or, when they come out from Customs, again P.C.' waiting to see who goes ' we got away with that' !!!!!

In those days if we did road blocks we used to ask Customs to attend - you had the power to deal with untaxed fuel in lorries. Does that still apply ?

Ritchie - my first permanent beat was Brick Lane and the area around it.

In those days if we did road blocks we used to ask Customs to attend - you had the power to deal with untaxed fuel in lorries. Does that still apply ?

Mervyn

Bet that was a tough part of town in those days - still is I think.

You were there right at the end of the Kray Twins era - funny really, I've heard people saying " it was never like this when the Twins were around". Probably true but I think there's rather more to it than that.

Untaxed fuel - yes still going on and it is still a Customs matter.

Regards

Richie

• 2 years later...

I think the gilt badge above was worn by Rhodesian Customs before UDI.

HM C&E "preventative officers" wore an embroidered badge consisting of a portcullis surrounded by a wreath and surmounted by a crown. A very nice badge actually. South Afircan Customs incidently had a similar badge but with a protea flower instead of a crown.

Early in the 20th century UK Customs wore crowns and crowns inside wreaths (similar in appearance to a WO II RQMS rank badges) depending on the rank/grade