News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wernher von Braun and his "Knight's Cross"

How stupid and ignorant can you get?

A new film has been made by German TV on Wernher von Braun, I'm watching it right now.

And there is a scene in it, where von Braun gets the "Knight's Cross" - and the filmmakers are too stupid to recognize that it is the "Knight's Cross of the War Merit Cross"....

.... you won't believe it....

they show a scene with von Braun wearing the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross around his neck.

Orwell ... or what is it? Ignorance of history...

where will this all end up?

How many of the General Public would even know about the Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross - to the vast majority I am sure that the only one they would recognise as a Knights cross is that of the Iron Cross. Not sure if the program mentioned was meant to be historical Fact or a piece of fiction in which case it would only by a miniscule fraction of viewers who would note (or care) about this error.

I think we could spend hours talking about the libertys that have been taken by the various film makers in depicting martial history

Ralph

This film was not meant as fiction, but as a documentary on von Braun's life! :speechless::speechless: (They interviewed people like Buzz Aldrin and several others from the NASA.)

But what does this say about the accuracy of the filmmakers' other research, if they cannot get von Braun's awards right? At least one look at this picture could have been expected:

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh! The error is not originally the filmmakers'. I traced it back to Michael Neufeld of the Smithsonian who wrote a biography on von Braun in 2007 and who collaborated with the filmmakers. In his book, he only speaks of the "Knight's Cross". No mention that it is the RKKVK. So even his biographer didn't get it right!banger.gifbanger.gifspeechless.gif

Guest Darrell

Well they got it half right. It is the "Knight's Cross" of the War Merit Cross. So unless they said Iron Cross, they are not 100% wrong.

Well they got it half right. It is the "Knight's Cross" of the War Merit Cross. So unless they said Iron Cross, they are not 100% wrong.

MAYBE Neufeld knew the difference - but he never mentions it. He's just talking of the "Knight's Cross" and 99% who read it must think of the RKEK.

If he knew, and since he collaborated with the filmmakers, he should have stopped them from showing von Braun with the Knight's Cross of the IRON CROSS!!banger.gifspeechless.gif

The film's title btw is "Der Raketenmann" by Peter Claridge and Dirk Kämper.