News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1942 Spanish Cross for Enlisted

Tim B

Sorry: Mis-named the title which should read...

1942 Spanish War Cross for Enlisted

I am waiting on this one in the mail, but it looks to be a beauty! :love:

Two quick questions:

1) Was this awarded to Spanish personnel only, and only during WWII (I/E: Spanish Blue Division)?

2) I think this rates above the Red Military Merit Cross in order of precedence, correct?

Okay, technically 3 questions. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hi Tim,

This is the war cross for enlisted troops, created in 1942. NCO?s and officers were awarded a breast star as it was since 1937.

It goes above the Red Military Merit Cross.

Really a nice piece :love:

Regards,

Dolfek.

Dolfek,

Many thanks for the correction; the seller was calling it a Spanish Cross of War and I understood it to be the lower ranks version of the War Cross; just forgot the WAR part in my typing the title. :speechless:

The seller was under the impression that some German soldiers might have been awarded this, but I don't see how that was possible. I know there were Blue Division Spainards that received the EK during their service on the Eastern Front, but even for Germans that were serving alongside, would they have been awarded this? I didn't think so but, not 100% sure here.

Thanks again!

Tim

Here's some more PICS:

The crown is actually separate and riveted on.

While I have you hostage here... :rolleyes:

I had always considered my Red Military Merit Cross of Spanish Civil War era (I know it's Franco period), just of different manufacture compared to the typical ones with the MM on the reverse. However, after comparing the crown styles on both of these, I wonder if it is a bit later, perhaps WWII.

Tim

NOTE: These may not be correctly sized to one another as I cut & pasted the two separate photos.

Edited by Tim B

Hi Tim,

Nice crosses. This type of war cross was created in 1942 to reward soldies and other ranks below seargent. So between 1937 (when the war cross was reistituted again) and 1942, all ranks received the war cross (breast star) with minimal variations to denote the holder?s rank. The color of the wreath for example. Generals received a completly golden star.

About the Red Military Merit Cross, it?s a really good looking type.

It?s hard to say, at less for me, but as you said, it?s a bit later. I would even say late 1940?s early 1950?s, but as I said, a have a few of them in my collection, and it?s not very easy to identify the exactly date. These are still in production, as replacement for veterans.

Think about all these veterans from the civil war that deserved all kind of medals, didn?t received any until the war was well over. There was such mess after the war, and so little funds, that some veterans received their medals many years after if they ever received any.

I?ve never seen/hear of any german, receiving the 1942 war cross. I think, if it was designed that year, by the time the began the production, and distribution, the blue division was almost home.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Dolfek.

Seeing the cross and box quality and the shop name on it (I?ve been in that shop many years ago) make think about a private purchase piece. Just an idea. ;)

Regards,

Dolfek.

Thanks Scott!

The good and the bad; good, it may re-ignite my interest in Spanish awards, the bad...obvious. I always did want a Meybauer SC among other things. :love: I'll never be rich. :(

Tim :cheers: