News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Magpie Returns ! A sampling of A-H

Hugh

After I had been doing business with Hut-Haller for a few years by mail, they wound up owing me some paltry amount, and rather than go through the money exchange routine (which was a lot more complicated in those days), they just sent me this little beauty. I love it!

(I see one listed on E-Medals for $550 US!)

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY - Ehrenkreuze fuer Landsturmpflichtiges Koerperschaft fuer 40 Jahre (Honor Medal, 40 years Corporate Militia) (Octo Lustra), EF

1971, (als ausgleich)

Not quite sure how "Ehrenkreuze" got into the name. I don't see any crosses. I think most people know it as "Octo Lustra"

Reverse

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY - Ehrenkreuze fuer Landsturmpflichtiges Koerperschaft fuer 40 Jahre (Honor Medal, 40 years Corporate Militia) (Octo Lustra), EF

1971, (als ausgleich)

I won't bother to show the long service crosses. I've put them up on here earlier this year. Similarly, I won't bother with the post-Anschluss German medals on Austrian ribbons listed below. If anyone is curious, I'll put them.

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY - Officer's Long Service Cross - 50 Years, EF

Innsbruck, 1964, (Gross valuation: $95 US, 1978) - Code: AH21

X AUSTRIA-HUNGARY - Officer's Long Service Cross - 25 Years, EF

Innsbruck, 1964, (Gross valuation: $25 US, 1978) - Code AH22

Liverpool Medal valuation, 8-06 ? ? 155 / $ 290.07

X AUSTRIA-HUNGARY - Soldier's Long Service Cross - 5 Years, Mint

Innsbruck, 1964, (Gross valuation: $12 US, 1978) - Code AH23

Liverpool Medal valuation, 8-06 ? ? 18 / $ 33.69

X AUSTRIA-HUNGARY (Germany) - Iron Cross 1st Class, 1914-18 (EK I), EF

Vienna, 1964 - Code: AH24

X AUSTRIA-HUNGARY (Germany) - Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914-18 (EK II), EF

Wild, 1955 - Code: AH25

X AUSTRIA (Germany) - Iron Cross, 2nd Class 1939-45 (EK II), EF

Vienna, 1964 - Code: AH26

X AUSTRIA (Germany) - War Service Cross 1939, w/Swords, 2nd Class (KVK II M/ Sch.), EF

Vienna, 1964 - Code: AH27

X AUSTRIA-HUNGARY (Germany) - Cross of Honor of the World War, EF

1914-18, w/Swords

Vienna, 1964 - Code: AH28

X AUSTRIA (Germany) - Long Service Cross, 25 Years, EF

Vienna, 1964 - Code: AH 29

So, next up is

X AUSTRIA-HUNGARY - Jubilee Medal, bronze, 1848-98, EF

Vienna, 1964

Hello,

having quoted Hut Haller from Innsbruck, reminded my youth, when, moving my first steps in phaleristic (I was 14, then), I've visited that shop many times and bought some of my very first AH decorations...

I think that the shop doesn't exist anymore, at least in the form we remember.

Back to your fine pieces, the "big" orders (Maria Theresia, St. Stephen, Leopold, Iron Crown with KD and the commander of the Franz Josef Orden), are fine copies made by Rothe of Vienna, between the 60s and the 70s.

Your "Octo Lustra" medal is a rare piece, awarded to the Landsturm only. In the hood old days it appeared in Tyrol and South Tyrol (Italy) mostly, and its dark brown colour didn't give the idea of someting difficult to find...

Best wishes,

Enzo (Elmar Lang)

Thanks for your comments, Elmar,

Is the "Ehrenkreuze" reference correct with respect to the Octo Lustra?

It's interesting that, given the rarity, they would have just sent it as odd change. They were really lovely people.

Best,

Hugh

Hello Hugh,

the right name for the Octo Lustra is "Ehrenzeichen f?r Vielj?hrige verdienstliche Mitgliedshaft bei einer Landsturmpflichtigen K?rperschaft" or "Decoration for long and meritorious membership in a Territorial Corps". "Kreuz" means Cross and the Octo Lustra (with his lower grade decoration, the "Quinque Lustra") is a "Medaille" or Medal.

Yes, I remember the people at Hut Haller as very kind persons, also answering to the hundreds of phaleristical questions I was doing as a kid. By the way, the firm appears as still existing, but I'm not sure if only as a firm's name or if they still deal with uniforms etc.

Best wishes,

Enzo

You've piqued my interest, so I did a Google search and found the following. It sounds as though Frau Kinsperger may still in business (since 1960)! Is that the location you remember? It sounds as though she's a sole proprietor, dealing in hats / textiles and a wide range of things, but still in uniforms. Someone in the area should pay her a visit.

Hugh

http://www.firmenabc.at/hut-haller-inh-alo...kinsperger_EByG

Hut-Haller, Inh. Aloisia Kinsperger

Maria Theresien Str. 38

6020 Innsbruck

Phone: +43-51-258-1374