News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EARLY INDIAN POLICE STAFF

Have just had a camera disc sent from UK which has some more pictures of the collection. Unfortunately items on this frame have been put together - for clarity, I will discuss them separately, but this will mean showing the illustration again - not a problem, they are different Countries.

We are looking at the right hand staff - the largest one and without anything on top.

The original contract to trade with India , was given by Charles 2nd. in the 17th. C. to the East India Company and they ended up establishing it as a colony with it's own police,army and navy. After the Indian Mutiny Britain took direct control and the EIC lost power.

Whilst organised police forces were in the larger centres, they copied the English system of having a constable in villages. His only weapon was the LATHI (pronouced lassie) which - without the brass is still used in India today to control riots. The staff could be used to strike down - prod in the stomach - or, swept at knee level to keep crowds back. A fearsome weapon in the right hands.

This example almost certainly dates back to the early 19th C. and is rare. I expect they could still be bought in the markets - or, at least the brass heads, but I doubt the bamboo would have survived.

Should anyone have any pictures or, further details it would be of interest.

Thankyou Ian - I could remember that there is an inscription, but could not read it on the photo. Do you think the last word is the village name or, area ? Where did you get yours ? I think I got these two at the Newark Antiques Fair - you should get a good price for Ann now !

My 2 are identical and as far as I can see the same as yours. I bought them many years ago at an arms fair. I agree the last word could be a village or area name.There is also a line of indian! script but cannot type that in for you and I don't think it will photograph.