News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Magpie Presents!

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kev, I'm counting on you and others to comment / correct / translate and possibly provide order of precedence. Thanks in advance.

RUMANIA - Order of the Star of Rumania (Ordinul Steaua Rom?niei), Type II, Officer, IV

Class w/ swords on war ribbon, EF

S. Vernon. Temecula, CA, 11/92

Every country should have a monarch, just so we could use these magnificent crowns.

RUMANIA - Order of the Star of Rumania (Ordinul Steaua Rom?niei), Type II, Officer, IV

How can it be that the Order of the Star has a beautiful crown, and the Order of the Crown has none?

RUMANIA - Order of the Crown, Type I w/Swords (Ordinul Coroana Rom?niei), Breast Badge, World War I

R Williams, Cooroy, 1989

Als, that's the end of the Rumanians! You can go to bed now, Kev.

Reverse

RUMANIA - 1916-18 Commemorative Cross, EF (Officer?s version)

SB Vernon, Temecula, CA,

Kev, I'm counting on you and others to comment / correct / translate and possibly provide order of precedence. Thanks in advance.

This was actually referred to as "The Order of the Star of Romania with swords". It is indeed a fine example of the type II, Officer class on war ribbon.

RUMANIA - Order of the Crown, Type I w/Swords (Ordinul Coroana Rom?niei), Breast Badge, World War I

R Williams, Cooroy, 1989

The name was "The Order of the Crown of Romania with swords", knight class/grade on Military Virtue ribbon (indeed type I).

How can it be that the Order of the Star has a beautiful crown, and the Order of the Crown has none?

Well, it had the crown on the centre medallion on the obverse. ;)

It was not until 1937 that the Order of the Crown of Romania acquired a suspension crown and even then it was only for the military grades.

This was actually referred to as "The Order of the Star of Romania with swords". It is indeed a fine example of the type II, Officer class on war ribbon.

Thanks, Carol,

If you see any other examples of mistakes, I'd be very glad to hear about them.

Thanks, Carol, a very informative thread. I noticed the following language in Kev's first post

There are variations in the cross caused by contracts to different manufacturers, also there is a cross which appears to be in gilt and I am told this was for officers, leaving the more darker coloured crosses for the other ranks.

Unquote

My cross does not appear to be in gilt, hence, is probably not an officer's version (shame on Sidney?), but Kev's comment doesn't appear to be definitive.

Kev (or others) - Have you found out anything about this gilt version over the past three years?