News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

You obviously like Scottish - not sure of the vintage of this WPC's 'bowler' - I'm sure Leigh can help . Does it have the special protective inner liner.

The original police who manned the dockyards in Victorian times, were all drawn from 'A' Division of the Metropolitan Police. I'm not sure of the date when they set-up a special force.

I see now that this is Portsmouth City Helmet - and not Dockyard. The town police had no authority inside the dockyard.

This is a very early truncheon for the Dockyard Police - V1R - means Queen Victoria 1st. - however, they stopped putting the 1st. on after about 1840.

Several other dockyards also used this style of truncheon - it is weighted with lead at the top.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

The females lid came in, I think, in the late 1980's, replaing the little soft top "Robin Hood" type hat. The tombstone is seen worn behind or in front of the band, some forces don't wear it at all. They're of thick felt, reinforced inside with a thick wedge of padding in the top, & have a narrow webbing harness.

They're usually shaped by setting in the steam of a kettle, the rim being turned up at the sides & narrowed at the front - this one needs a bit of shap[ing.

White PVC covers are worn on them by traffic, or have all forces gone over to fluorescent yellow cap covers for traffic now?

Thanks to all for the information. I appreciate each of you making time to post everything. I do have more items I'll be posting as the days go by. Hope to get more insights from all.