News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Police items

On the opposite end from the key, should be stamped Hiatts - they were in Birmingham(UK) and made most restraints. The whistle is fairly early - could be 1930's or, even earlier. Many householders kept this pattern to call for 'help' - but a police one will often have the name of the Force. Also, in this case the tunic chain is still with it - and they were Police issue. I am sure you know that the hook goes through the top button hole - on the old tunics that went to the neck, it was the second button. Old tunics had a special whistle pocket just inside the tunic - later ones it went into the left top tunic pocket. Before they abandoned whistles they had started chroming them. Another point - older ones often have a key attached - this was for the old Police boxes - but, only Dr. Who uses them now ! (UK tv sci-fi series)

On the opposite end from the key, should be stamped Hiatts - they were in Birmingham(UK) and made most restraints. The whistle is fairly early - could be 1930's or, even earlier. Many householders kept this pattern to call for 'help' - but a police one will often have the name of the Force. Also, in this case the tunic chain is still with it - and they were Police issue. I am sure you know that the hook goes through the top button hole - on the old tunics that went to the neck, it was the second button. Old tunics had a special whistle pocket just inside the tunic - later ones it went into the left top tunic pocket. Before they abandoned whistles they had started chroming them. Another point - older ones often have a key attached - this was for the old Police boxes - but, only Dr. Who uses them now ! (UK tv sci-fi series)

Thanks for the info. I looked closer and this is wha is on the whistle:

THE Metropolitan

J. Hudson & Co.

13.Barr St.

Birmingham'

PATENT

++++++

I have a second whistle with almost the identical information:

THE Metropolitan

J. Hudson & Co.

Barr St. Hockley

Birmingham