News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 EK2 Spange on ebay

Guest Brian von Etzel

Saw that one too. What I find interesting is that the bar is 100%, to me. Everything right. So why take a spectacular bar and gum it up with a fake Wiederholungsspange. Not that it hasn't or couldn't be done, it just makes the spange a little more convincing to be on such a nice bar.

For the record, the image is a little blurred but having done another stippling match-up, I am now sure the obverse of this ebay piece on the bar is also a match for everyone elses here... (i.e. it has the 'cats paw', the 'semi circular' sweeping patterns, and a few other stippling reference points that I use to I.D these...)

The reverse is not featured, but this being a 2 prong attatchment example, the seller should easily be able to see if this is marked with the Wagner name AND the moon, Crown, 800. He certainly hasn't chosen to mention it if it is so marked.

I now have pictures from Tony J of his 1914 Weiderhlungsspange which is the type featured by Geissler in his book. It is marked Joh Wagner & Sohn, but in a different style to ours and does NOT have the moon/crown/800 stamp. It is also the ONLY example I have seen where the pebbling pattern is different, the quality is better & the date and crown detail much 'finer' than the pieces we collectively own. To all intenets and purposes, it 'looks' the same... but up close, it is most definitely not. I personally have enormous faith in it.

Make of that what you will, I guess...

Edited by Biro