News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Volunteer Police Badges and awards of The Hungarian Peoples Republic-1948-1989

There were a considerable number of people used as Voluntary poplice during the HUPR. They wore civilain clothes

with badges and arm bands to indicate that they were officially recognized by the police as volunteers. First up a picture of a Volunteer Police badge that would have been worn on the left side of the jacket. Usually a suit coat.

The writing on the badge reads as follows; ÖNKÉNTES (VOLUNTEER) RENDÖR (POLICE). The badge is pinned inside a long service award case.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Next is a 5 year long service badge for Volunteer Police in the HUPR. It is for five years and is in its presentation case. The badge posted above was pinned to the interior of the top of the case when I bought it. There are badges of exactly the same design for 10, 15 and 20 years years of service with these numerals in the centre where the 5 is located on this badge. The Word SZOLGÁLATÉRT means FOR SERVICE.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Ulsterman,

I am not quite sure what their duties were nor what training they received. Something I still have to research.

Mervyn,

The badges were of a good quality enamel. The lapel one was better than the 5 year long service ones though. No pictures at the moment as virtually everything we own went in to lift vans today for our sea shipment. We are in the midst of moving from Budapest back to Canada and only have two more weeks here.

I posted a current police Colonel's tunic and hat when this Forum first started. These uniforms are rarely sen in wear. In summer, Hungarian police wear white shirts, and dark blue trousers. In winter they wear the same pants, but probably in a heavier weight, medium blue shirts and a short windbreaker type of jacket. A "baseball" type cap is the standard headgear. On the back of the windbreaker, in large white letters, it says "REND?R" and below that POLICE.

I don't have any pictures of these uniforms so I should get some before I leave.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 months later...