News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Weird Medal Of The Order Of The Crown

Hello TacHel,

It's not the Crown Order but the Order of the Lion ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

Can you tell me a little more please? Is the Order defunct?Only bestowed in the Congo Belge?

Addenda: here's a pic for those who are wondering what we're talking about.

Edited by TacHel

Can anybody tell me more about the Order of the Lion?

All I could find was that is used to be an Order from the Belgian Congo but it also said it was adopted as a Belgian Order in 1910. What happened to it?

Can anybody tell me more about the Order of the Lion?

All I could find was that is used to be an Order from the Belgian Congo but it also said it was adopted as a Belgian Order in 1910. What happened to it?

The Order of the Lion was created by King Leopold II, as king of the Independent State of Congo, in 9 April 1891. Awarded in five class and three medals: Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer, Knight, Gold Medal, Silver Medal, and Bronze Medal. Presented for meritorious service to the Belgian colony or its sovereign. The Order's badge has 2 intertwined letters "C" (Congo) between the cross arms and the reverse medallion bears l intertwined letters "L" (Leopold) over the letter "S" (Sovereign). The Order's motto, "TRAVAIL ET PROGRES" (Labor and progress) surrounds the obverse central medallion (a gilt lion on blue enamel). Medals were awarded to NCOs and other ranks, to "lower" rank public servants, etc. This order and medal is no longer issued because the Belgian Congo gained independence from Belgium on June 30, 1960. The order and medal became defunct shortly after even though several were reportly awarded after that date.

If you would like to see a picture of the more senior order to this medal discribed above, let me know and I will post one.

Edited by Gldank