News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Collecting Democratic Republic Vietnam Militaria

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Collecting the militaria of the DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM (a/k/a North Vietnam) appears to get easier as trade restrictions are relaxed and the former airmen, sailors, and soldiers are in retirement, passing on or already deceased and they or their families sell off their old insignia, medals, uniforms, etc., some even on eBay Auctions, believe it or not? Not sure anyone has of yet produced a well-documented reference book on the D.R.V. insignia? Maybe in B&W, but fully in colour, perhaps? Here are two pilot's qualification wings for 2nd and 3rd Class and an officer's cap badge too! Enjoy! Cat%20Scratch.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California catjava.gif

"Greetings & Salutations!" Here is an olive-green cotton cap said to have been worn by a soldier in the army of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam? Cat%20Scratch.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga

Hi!!

It is good to see another fan of The 'Nam's militaria!!! I have been in love with it since I saw a picture on a magazine of an N.V.A. trooper wearing a 'soldiers combat order' way back when I was very young. I just loved the medal & wondered whre I could get one.

Some of the higher & more recent Orders such as the Ho Chi Minh & the Idependance Orders & the 2007(?) version of the Gold Star seem to fetch quite high amounts of cash.

Hi!!

It is good to see another fan of The 'Nam's militaria!!! I have been in love with it since I saw a picture on a magazine of an N.V.A. trooper wearing a 'soldiers combat order' way back when I was very young. I just loved the medal & wondered whre I could get one.

Some of the higher & more recent Orders such as the Ho Chi Minh & the Idependance Orders & the 2007(?) version of the Gold Star seem to fetch quite high amounts of cash.

TIME STAMP: Well, I have collected just about everything except 3rd Reich! Prices tend to rise over the years after wars are done and over with and people start hoarding and then hoping their investments will bring them profits. Truth is, as money inflates and value of the U.S. Dollar drops, the investor only knows he or she paid X-number of dollars and cents and do not take into account the old money is not on par with new currency. If you paid One U.S. Dollar (US$1.00) in 1940, that would be the same as Sixteen U.S. Dollars (US$16.00) today! Believe it or not? There are actually more decorations, medals, and orders available now than during the war because more former North Vietnamese and former Viet-Cong want to sell them. Quite high amounts of cash does not mean the seller will ever get that? Someone else will under-sell them, count on it, Time Stamp! cat.gif

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Did you get those from a dealer based in Hanoi? If so; he is a very good dealer & takes good care of his customers. He gets some amazing stock in as well. He had some unissued examples of the Ho Chi Minh Order, Independance Order & the current issue Gold Star.

• 1 month later...

- North Vietnam, Vietnam war era armed youth assult force peaked cap

- North Vietnam Army, Vietnam war era 1960's peaked cap

- Viet Cong satin 1966 banner. Top reads "Armed forces for the liberation of South Vietnam."

Centre shows Viet Cong flag with soldier with rifle standing on US helmet;

text below reads "Heros who destroy Americans."

Bottom reads "Victory Da nang 1966."

- North Vietnam army, vietnam war era 4 pocket shoulder ammo bag.

- North Vietnam Army, Vietnam war era army belt

• 6 years later...

I've recently joined this great forum and was trying to find out some information about a North Vietnamese badge I have acquired but notice you have the exact one in this thread. Its the first photo in this thread, large gold coloured badge with star. Can you tell me more about this badge as I have not seen one previously worn by the NVA. I have seen the two piece wreath and star within a circle type, are these earlier examples?

Thanks,

Mick

Am not really as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on insignia of Vietnam. My mother served there as a male nurse in the U.S. Army, but I never got a chance to go there also. I had friends there who shipped me Vietnamese insignia from both sides, however I gave it all away to young collectors for free. After the war ended in World War Two, as a young person, service men and women gave me loads of insignia and uniforms. I recall several books on on the medals, insignia and uniforms of the South Vietnamese military, but cannot recall much on then North Vietnam? As I recall from photographs, there were two armies affiliated with North Vietnam, one being the Viet Cong who probably did not wear much insignia? The N.V.A. I believe the others was called, were pictured with insignia, seems like most were their officers? I wish I could answer your question! Maybe you can write to the Vietnamese Government's Military Attache, have gotten free books and insignia from military attaches as they get less mail than a consulate or an embassy it seems? Good luck!

Thank-you very much quite an interesting story, if only you still had some of them items. Would have been nice to see original badges and insignia brought back as there's a lot of later issues and copies now flooding the market.

• 3 weeks later...