News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Police Hat

speagle

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon,

Glad I could bring a new light to this "simple" subjectunsure.gif

We will be staying at Altus AFB, Oklahoma Sunday night so I'll check in again then.

I hope I have found something unusual and not a "fraud piece".

As always, thanks again

Look forward to our nextmessage session.

Ed

Gordon,

Haven't heard anything of late. We will be leaving Austin, Texas this coming Thursday enroute to Arkansas till the 17th. Still have the envelope addressed to you in m planner. Any updates? tongue.gif

Gordon,

Haven't heard anything of late. We will be leaving Austin, Texas this coming Thursday enroute to Arkansas till the 17th. Still have the envelope addressed to you in m planner. Any updates? tongue.gif

Ed,

Nothing new to report on the hat. Bernhard says to consider the Gendarmerie bomb device a gift. That includes the cost of mailing.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

Nothing new to report on the hat. Bernhard says to consider the Gendarmerie bomb device a gift. That includes the cost of mailing.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Please relay my appreciation to Bernhard. I humbly accept. Looking forward to hearing from you on the status of my eagle.

Thanks again friend,

Ed

Ed,

Since I expect the search for a resolution on this cap to take a while, I dressed up one of my manneqins in a senior Gendarmerie officers uniform from my collection. I thought you might like to see what an Austrian Gendarmerie's uniform looked like. The shirt and tie are mine and the shoes are from Value Village but I think the whole thing gives you a good idea of what they looked like. You have the type of hat that would go with this uniform if it had the correct flaming bomb insignia on the side. Unfortunately, I do not have a hat to match the uniform so I can not complete the impression.

I will convey your thanks to Bernard.

Regards,

Gordon

Here is a close up of the collar tabs. The Gendarmerie flaming bomb insignia is clearly visible here.

Gordon,

Thanks for sharing. Sharp looking uniform. I especially like the collar tab.biggrin.gif

Thanks again,

Ed

Ed,

Full Colonel.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon.

Just got back from a couple of antique stores. Picked up what was identified as "Australian Army Dress Hat". I'll be posting pictures in the appropriate forum shortly.

Thanks again for the info

Ed

Thanks Gordon.

Just got back from a couple of antique stores. Picked up what was identified as "Australian Army Dress Hat". I'll be posting pictures in the appropriate forum shortly.

Thanks again for the info

Ed

Gordon,

Check out this web site. Interesting ID on the hat we have been talking about. It identifies the dragon as State Police and the bomb as a Gendarmerie. It also show the red backing. http://dijcolorg.free.fr/collection-coiffes/pages/austria.htm

Gordon,

Check out this web site. Interesting ID on the hat we have been talking about. It identifies the dragon as State Police and the bomb as a Gendarmerie. It also show the red backing. http://dijcolorg.free.fr/collection-coiffes/pages/austria.htm

Ed,

The site you posted the URL to is close but not totally accurate. The sicherhietswach are not a state police force. They were deployed only in some of the larger cities such as Vienna etc. There was never any doubt that the eagle head was a sicherheitswach item nor that the flaming bomb was gendarmerie. The clue is the colour of the hats. The sicherhietswach hats, were dark green as show on the site. I have posted a picture of one of these green hats earlier in this thread. The gendarmerie hats were grey again as shown on the site. In my experience, I have never seen the Gendarmerie grey caps with the eagle head device on them. Both of these organizations were police forces. As I said previously, the sicherheitswach performed police duties in some of the larger cities. The Gendarmerie policed the smaller towns and cities as well as all of the rural areas. There was no state police force in Ausria until the amalgamation of all police forces into one in 2002 as I stated earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

The site you posted the URL to is close but not totally accurate. The sicherhietswach are not a state police force. They were deployed only in some of the larger cities such as Vienna etc. There was never any doubt that the eagle head was a sicherheitswach item nor that the flaming bomb was gendarmerie. The clue is the colour of the hats. The sicherhietswach hats, were dark green as show on the site. I have posted a picture of one of these green hats earlier in this thread. The gendarmerie hats were grey again as shown on the site. In my experience, I have never seen the Gendarmerie grey caps with the eagle head device on them. Both of these organizations were police forces. As I said previously, the sicherheitswach performed police duties in some of the larger cities. The Gendarmerie policed the smaller towns and cities as well as all of the rural areas. There was no state police force in Ausria until the amalgamation of all police forces into one in 2002 as I stated earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Gordon

GORDON,

My hat is green as shown on the URL site I posted as well as one of my initial posts. So is it State Police?

Ed

Ed,

In all of the pictures you posted your hat looks grey. If it is green then it is sicherheitswach and is correct with the eagles head. At the risk of repeating myself, there was no Austrian state police force that wore this cap. The sicherheitswach were city police.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

In all of the pictures you posted your hat looks grey. If it is green then it is sicherheitswach and is correct with the eagles head. At the risk of repeating myself, there was no Austrian state police force that wore this cap. The sicherheitswach were city police.

Regards,

Gordon

GORDON,

Sorry for the color confusion. It is a dark green with the red piping.

Ed