News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Establishing 1st. Police In 1829

The Metropolitan Police were the first civilian police force in the World - marching out from New Scotland Yard in June 1829. However, from when the word first spread that the Government planned a full police force, there was enormous opposition. People had been frightened by the French Revolution and had feelings that an organised body of men would be an armed force for the Govt. to use. This was why early uniforms were based on civilian dress. I have a number of hand coloured engravings from 1829 and will add them to make a thread - please add your comments and any other prints.

This print was published in May 1829 and shows the three main instigators of the Police Bill. In the centre - punching the old 'charlie' - or, nightwatchman - is Sir Robert Peel - the Home Secretary. Behind him is the Prime Minister - The Duke of Wellington and behind him - carrying an umbrella - is The Lord Chancellor - 1st.Baron of England , Lord Lyndhurst. His real name - not his title - was Lord Gardiner.

These three were directly responsible for our modern Police and are all important people. I own Lord Gardiner's silver tipstaff and will add it to the thread.

The group of men whom they are 'fighting' are the night watch - or, as they were always known 'Charlies'. This was after King Charles 2nd. who established the Watch in 1661. They were elderly men - quite useless. Note that they have several candle lanterns showing, plus, many of the old alarm rattles - and the man Peel is punching has a cross belt for a sword.

This is an important print and whilst I am sure that there are other examples, I haven't seen them. ( I have to be careful when I say things like that - someone - usually a friend in Washington - will immediately find 6 other examples ! )

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Mervyn, Peel set up a police force in Cheshire on the 1st of June 1829. It was intended as a trial for all the other county forces but was not a sucess so it wasn't extended to any other counties at that time. does this just pip the Met? Ian

Sorry - No ! You could count a few of the early Town and City night and day watch under this criteria. The first fully formed force was the Met.. The Dublin Police Act of 1792 was really the first trial run - but was not on the mainland and was dealing with a different set of circumstances.

Hello Mervyn,

Is it your intention that this "short post" is for early prints or early police memorabilia in general?

My reason for asking is that I have a great item from the Victorian period, Staffordshire Police, on its way from the UK. I can't tell you what it is due to "collector's superstition" but I think it is the Holy Grail of my Staffordshire Police collection.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Brian - if it is 'print' related - then this could be a good thread, that hopefully we can develop. I will be adding a few more prints and the very rare tipstaff I mentioned. However, if you have a new item why not start another thread and , hopefully, we can add to that. I must tell you that after your vague outline - we are now all waiting with 'bated breath' (I wonder what a 'bate' was ? Would be a good 'odd expression' for the Lounge ?)

Ian, I was very tired when I answered your note last evening - why not put a few details on this thread? I'm sure it would be of interest.

OK Mervyn, The act appointed 9 Special high constables with petty constables under them the no varying according to the size of the division usually between 5 and10.It struggled because most of the magistrates were against it and there was no one in overall control. It strugled on until 1856 when the County and borough act replaced it, the high constables becoming superintendents but with no great increase in strength. I have some Items from this time and will try and put them on as soon as I can. 3 Inspectors from the met transfered in 1835,1840 and 1842 to become Special high constables, 2 of the going on to become chief constables of Macclesfield.

This is the tipstaff for Lord Gardiner - The Lord Chancellor of England. The wording - from the top is :

A BARON'S CORONET

HIS COAT OF ARMS

Rt. Honble.

LORD LYNDHURST

CHIEF BARON

(on the base section) NATHANIEL HAMER

APPOINTED 1st. JULY

Nathaniel Hamer was the Steward to Lord Lyndhurst's estates and his name was on Lydhurst's tipstaff in order that he could sit as a local magistrate, in his place.

• 3 weeks later...