News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badges For Some Scary People .... The RSM!

The final and highest rank any Canadian NCO can hope to attain is Canadian Forces CWO/RSM/CPO1. Personal adviser to the Chief of the Defense Staff.

Basic rank surrounded by a wreath of maple leaves. The position rotates between the services.

Edited by TacHel

• Replies 128
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are seeing some interesting items in this thread, let's keep them coming. Up next we have the 1953 pattern badge worn by a WO1 in the Foot Guards who is not an RSM.

Followed by the 1953 pattern that was worn by the Paras, among others.

Then we have two different versions of the badge for the Master Gunner, Royal Artillery (or a Conductor in the Royal Logictics Corps). I am hopeing someone can enlighten us as to why there are two different types.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-1487-125267958179.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-1487-125267959035.jpg

I agree with Paul - this has developed into an interesting thread with all of the variations. Frank's post on Canadian versions showed great differences from their U.K. counter parts and it was nice to see the types. The Rhodesian metal ones are similar to the South African - the impressions never seem so clear.

We watched this week a series on Monarchy - The Royal Family at Work - they showed the Guards being trained to fire a Feu de Joie. There were several different levels of Sgt. Majors present - including the Garrison Sgt. Maj.. He was wearing a small bullion - obviously for undress - but many of those shown here can be seen. I found the programme very well presented.

As you say - keep the subject alive - where are our Australian and New Zealand friends ?

Here are pre-1968 Canada ranks. I mention pre-1968 because until then, we still wore British uniforms and had the same rank structure even if this rank badge differed slightly in design.

Left, King's crown RSM rank for battle dress. Right, Queen's crown RCAF WO1 for dress tunic.

These are the current rank badges as worn on the lower sleeve of the dress uniform.

Army, Navy, Air Force.

For those of you wondering what the motto stands for at the bottom:

A MARI USQUE AD MARE= From one ocean to the other (D'un océan à l'autre).

Edited by TacHel

A Mess Dress WOI badge & a Canadian WOI badge.

The British badge belonged to a Northamptonshire Regiment / Royal Anglian TA WOI, the Canadian badge was sent over to him by a rellative n Canada, just to show him another WOI badge.

Edited by leigh kitchen

This St Edwards Crown version came from a RM Commando unit in 1979, they were newly introduced, the same leather strap was worn by the RQMS with the crown withn laurel wreath anodised insignia as one with the slightly wider leather backing had'nt been provided - the west/ east anodised loops on the RQMS nsigna were just bent around the edge of the leather instead of inserted n the holes which were already stamped for the WOI's insignia.

This Kings Crown scarlet piped infantry WOI badge came with the WOII & RQMS badges n post no. 58.

The Royal Arms with coloured arm of service edging was introduced as the WOI's badge by ACI 1193 of 13/10/45.

The colour of the edging was the same as the colour of the backing to officers rank insignia authorised in 1940.

There is no mention of dark blue edging worn by RAPC or REME in the ACI.

RAPC officers badge backing had been changed from yellow to dark blue in 1945.

Royal Arms:

Black - APTC

Blue - RE, R Sigs

Cambridge Blue AAC, AEC

Dull Cherry - RAMC

Green - Recce Corps, ADC, Int Corps

Red - RA, RAOC, Pioneer Corps, CMP

Rifle Green - Rifle Regments

Scarlet Infantry

Yellow - RAC, RASC

Beech Brown - ATS

The AAC wore a grey cloth backing around the edge of the badge - there were few WOI's in the corps.

Household Cavalry, the Foot Guards & the ACF continued to wear the badge without coloured edging.

Royal Arms in Wreath, only these were listed as having coloured edging (War Clothing Regs 1941 repeated in WCR 1943):

Red - RA, RAOC, Pioneer Corps, CMP

Yellow - RAC, RASC

Edited by leigh kitchen

WOI's badge for wear on Combat Dress - introduced in the early 80's?

I have an idea that I got this from a Commando unit in NI in 1979, & at that time the full range of such badges were being introduced through the army & Royal Marines, including the RQMS & WOI badges which were replacing the black embroidered on green versions worn by RM shown in post no. 63.

Posts 19 & 46 - the beige backed badges - the East kents - "The Buffs".

The 13th Hussars wore "buff" facngs, but what they called Buff the rest of us would call "white"

Many thanks again :cheers:

Is there any good source which outlines the facing colours / backing colours of the various regiments and corps ?

Many thanks again :cheers:

Is there any good source which outlines the facing colours / backing colours of the various regiments and corps ?

Off the top of my head, There'll be some info in Britsh Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two by Brian Davs (Arms & Armour Press) & there's info re coloured insignia in Brtish Army Proficiency Badges by Davd Edwards & David Langley (The Sherwood Press Nottnham)- it's about what it says on the tin, but will apply to some rank insignia too.

Edited by leigh kitchen

A couple more South African RSM badges. These are the detachable arm type - are these common in other Forces ? The top has an elastic section which slips over the shirt epaulette. Not sure which unit used the purply one.

Not that I know of for WO's Merv - NCO's chevrons, yes, there were / are various brassards with chevrons & / or formation patches.