News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USA Ribbon Bars

Noor

57 minutes ago, BalkanCollector said:

It is actually not WW1 but WW2. The ribbons are from left to right:

1 - British "1939-1945 Star" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–1945_Star

2 - British "France and Germany Star" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–1945_Star

3 - USA "World War 2 Victory Medal" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Victory_Medal_(United_States)

Hi

Thanks, I realise the typo now, that is should have been WW2, however im wondering how that combination came to be.

Would this be awarded to british officer? or an american serving with the british?

Thanks for the hi-res image of the back of this unusual ribbon bar.

At first glance, the stitching looks good, but on further observation, it doesn't look like the stitching is 75 years old.

Stitching looks more recent, so still leaning towards someone adding the US WW2 Victory Medal ribbon to fill an empty spot/missing ribbon on this ribbon bar. 

Jean-Paul

• 2 weeks later...
    On November 18, 2017 at 09:48, granty1988 said:

Hello

I have a new Ribbon Bar, which I know isnt entirely american, but does seem to have an american ribbon on it.

Seeing that its both British and American, i am wondering how this can be, especially WW1?

Does anyone have any insight on this please?

IMG_20171118_154009.jpg

Hmm, at first I thought this was a Silver Star recipient, then I remembered that the France & Germany Star has identical ribbon to the US Silver Star. 

I would imagine the recipient was strictly in a non-combat role. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thought I'd add my meagre collection of ribbons to this great thread:

WW2 (Wolf Brown).

US Navy Vietnam service.

Gulf War Navy service. (I have the medals for these)

USAF. (Missing an oak leaf on the long tour overseas ribbon)

Unfortunately none of these are attributed to any one person.

5a48c1acbdb98_P4060003-Copy.thumb.JPG.89c06164992b35aa5e46dd69e44e82cd.JPG5a48c1bed6f64_DSC_0138__1514717084_95_147_146_162-Copy.jpg.6eaa81e8e1e38cb572dc88e1deab5d17.jpg5a48c1c9898b0_P7150218-Copy(2)-Copy.thumb.JPG.f8a9374bcd23d2b8d66e20a910e3c54a.JPG5a48c1d80ba75_PB040069__1509799149_2_27_243_222-Copy.jpg.5c157efa8c3a1ea45dc6955ed7fdfdae.jpg

• 6 months later...
    On 13/08/2016 at 23:35, Sal said:

Just one of many I have for you all to marinate on

image.jpeg

Hello Sal,

I was just checking out older posts, and was wondering if you where able to identify this ribbon group?

Cheers

Sampo

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, it's interesting that the bar in Post #185 has the USN/USMC Combat Distinguishing Device "V" device for the Legion of Merit, but not the Bronze Star.  Quite appropriate, just interesting.  China Service and Philippines Liberation to go along with WW2 and Korea service.  Probably some good stories go along with this bar.

In the second posting ... Post #186 ... What are the grey/blue ribbons on the bottom row of the bar on the bottom left?

Hello

Thank you for the reply.  I think that there may be a device missing from the Bronze Star.  I've seen ship captains receive the LOM/V for playing pivotal roles.  I'd love to hear the real story on the bar.

Those strange gray/blue ribbons are for the Coast Guard Auxillary.  This man joined the Aux after his time in service.  Here is another great bar to CG Captain.  I was lucky enough to find the citations for the two top medals.  

Smith.jpg

Smith`.jpg

A super cool set and hand written note from Coast Guard RADM K.  Cowart.  Here is his Silver Star citation awarded for his efforts in saving the CGC CAMPBELL after she rammed a Uboat.  https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/33913

Cowart.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Here is quite a simple bar I recently acquired. I would be interested in your opinions on it please with regards manufacturer,age,authenticity etc. I believe it consists of:

Navy Presidential Unit Citation with star(I wanted it to be blue but don't think it is)

Navy good conduct medal with 3 stars

American Defense Service Medal with A device(as discussed previously on this thread)

It has SER 204 on the reverse of the bar

The ribbons appear to be named inside the bar-not seen this before.

Cheers

Dave

DSC_3021.JPG

DSC_3027.JPG

• 11 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello, this is my first U.S. ribbon bar, I really like the original devices and clean but worn look. A question about the one campaign star with arrowhead, understand it could represent a number of amphibious landings or parachute drops, however realistically could it represent late entry into the EAME theater such as the Rhine crossing, with all other wartime service in the US or UK? 

Jeff

20200925_160307.jpg

Edited by jeffskea

• 5 months later...
    • 9 months later...

Apologies I didn't see a reply to this topic after so long - the star is bronze which leads me to thinking a later campaign like the Rhine crossing, interesting to see only the single campaign without the recipient being wounded.

A few very nice early USAF bars to show, really like the Berlin Airlift combos and the Silver Star group is a favorite.

After a fair amount of research through the NARA award cards, 8-award Air Medal recipients consistently went to 12th Air Force, with fewer in the 15th and 9th. The lack of DFC emphasizes the Silver Star was likely for a specific act of gallantry to this enlisted aircrew.

The Army GCM, NDSM  and AF Longevity bar is simple yet this combo has to put the individual in the USAF between 1947-60, post-1946 WW2 Victory and pre-1961 National Defense Service Medal criteria period.

Jeff

20220104_150501.jpg

20220104_133839.jpg

20220104_133852.jpg

An interesting combo to the Organized Marine Corps Reserve with China Service and no Occupation Service.

20220110_132605.jpg

On 19/11/2017 at 05:43, granty1988 said:

HI JPL

Please see attached for the reverse of the bar

IMG_20171119_112926.jpg

This is a British bar.  Possibly an American who served in the British forces then sometime in the war transferred back to the us forces in some aspect on the home front 

Just now, ostprussenmann_new said:

This is a British bar.  Possibly an American who served in the British forces then sometime in the war transferred back to the us forces in some aspect on the home front 

I personally know of a a now passed wwii vet that has an identical ribbon bar like this who served as I mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting set, with the scare arrowhead on the Korean Service Medal. Only three assaults were credited during that conflict, Inchon amphibious landing, Sunchon airborne drop, and Munsan-Ni airborne attack. AFP900 is a USAF resource that lists campaign, unit award, and assault credit to all air force units from WW1 to Vietnam. Searching through the Korean War, I found some interesting info, I could find no air force unit receiving assault credit for Inchon. The only unit I could find that received the Distinguished Unit Citation, arrowhead device and Korean Presidential Unit Citation was the 314th Troop Carrier group, of which 4 of their 5 squadrons received the arrowhead for both Sunchon and Munsan-Ni. There were approx 50 officers per squadron so that narrows it down to around 200 possible individuals whobcpuld have worn this bar, and not everyone would have received 7 Air Medals. Out of 8 million US personnel serving during the Korean War, 200 is not too bad.

Jeff

20220126_132010.jpg

• 3 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...