News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USA Ribbon Bars

Noor

That's correct Erik. A BS could be awarded for Valor, Service or Achievement during and in a war. If awarded for Valor, a 'V' device was added to the ribbon, for service/achievement, no device or in the case, an oakleaf for each additional award up to the fourth award, ribbon always counts as 1st award. With the award of five, it's a silver device. Oakleaf for individual awards, stars for campaigns.

Was reading the citations for 2 bronze stars from WW2 on another forum. Both without the V so with an oakleaf on the ribbon.

If you read the citations it makes you wonder what you had to do to get a V added in that time?!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190656-fury-2nd-armored-divison-medal-grouping-with-patch-citation/

Was reading the citations for 2 bronze stars from WW2 on another forum. Both without the V so with an oakleaf on the ribbon.

If you read the citations it makes you wonder what you had to do to get a V added in that time?!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190656-fury-2nd-armored-divison-medal-grouping-with-patch-citation/

Erik, I read those citations and IMO, the commander who signed off and sent the citation FWD didn't know completely about how the BS could be awarded. Valor, Achievement or Service...I know of no time is was awarded for "Heroic Achievement". Achievement would be for actions involving planning and successful execution of an military operation, for example. Also remember, a recommendation can be shot down to a lower level by higher approving authority. It could be also a higher authority screw up. The Arcom was also in affect and he could have been awarded that with a V device. Regardless, it was a travesty for the BS not to be awarded without a V device the first time and the OLC would have designated a second award for valor.

I witness a few travesties and experienced a couple personally and it depended a lot on who recommended the award, the command general and the whole chain of command on who received what and there were even directives that certain ranks would not receive this and that award. Even though we don't have aristocracy in our military, there was always a class difference.

I think he is suggesting that he started WW2 as enlisted and somewhere along the line received a commission since with the service reflected in this bar, he should have more than one GCM. Officers are authorized to wear the GCM they earned as prior enlisted.

Yup. That's what Im saying.

Would like some input on this custom single ribbon.

It came from an old collection which is being sold now the collector passed away.

Period is Korea or could it also be WW2?

Regards, Erik

IMG_0647_zps4df24594.jpg

Looks as though it's intended to be a Medal of Honor ribbon.

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting little ribbon bar. A Women's Army Corps Service Medal and a US Army Good Conduct Medal. It came with the Distinctive Unit Insignia ... which I believe to be for the Army Air Corps' Eastern Flying Training Command. There was also a US WW2 Victory Medal with the box (1946) in the lot.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I am sharing a couple images of two sets in my collection. The 3 ribbon set is English made with cross stitches and sterling clutches. The Second is on an Ike jacket (unfortunately no name or number) 2nd Army 33rd division.

Cheers!

That English one looks outstanding! There weren't many NCOs with foreign awards in 1945.

Arrowhead on the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal and a French Croix de Guerre with Palm suggests D-Day to me...

• 5 weeks later...
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=A424856EA8A1214B&id=A424856EA8A1214B%21414

Figured I would share a couple more. I have a nice Navy Officers Tunic that I should post a pic of soon too. You get a glimpse into my collection, I prefer head gear, uniforms that tell a story and the obscure.

The only thing truly bogus in #1 is the Legion of Merit in higher position than the Silver Star. GCM is no problem - even a West Pointer with some prior enlisted time (regardless of how short) could be awarded one at end of enlisted service - becoming a cadet. Also - prior to Dessert Storm - OLC on the NDSM was proper designation of second award.

• 8 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

1. American Campaign Medal

2. European/African/Mid Eastern Campaign Medal

3. Asiatic/Pacific Campaign Medal

4. Marine Corps Good Conduct Ribbon

5. American Defense Medal

6. Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal

7. Navy/Marine Corps Presidential Unit Citation

8. Purple Heart

Service Star explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star

This is an unusual one. Worn 1943-45 on a Me. State Guard uniform. The guy who wore this was a marine on Wake. In June, 1941 he slipped off a ladder and fell under a truck, which promptly snapped his right leg into several pieces and got him sent to the USA. There he got a medical discharge-on December 6th, 1941(!) and arrived home just in time to hear about Pearl Harbor. He spent the war building a Liberty ships in Portland, Maine and occasionally doing POW supervision in the Maine Guard. He still walks with a cane.

$_35.JPGREF #117/118

American-Legion-50th-Anniversary-Medal-Bronze-Ribbon-Pin-1919-1969

Edited by speagle

Greetings all,

My Dad's medals have come to me. Can you help me identify them?

10857998_10202943946544331_869266369248210402469_10202943946584332_9002215335660

Stephen,

Thank you for sharing that wonderful grouping. Does the good conduct medal have his name engraved on the back?

image.jpgCool medal Speagle. All (almost) the US Legion medals ( inc. many convention medals) use the same ribbon. I saw a rather rare Legion bond drive medal on eBay last week. I don't suppose you got that one?

Here is the local Legion Commander @ 1940 . It's a hand colored photo, so the clerk got the colours a bit off, but you can see the officers' medal in wear. Note he's also wearing a VFW. Medal as well as his WW1 gong.

image.jpg

Edited by Ulsterman

Actually, this ribbon appears with several different American Legion medals, including awards made to ROTC cadets for achievement. It is not unique to the anniversary medal noted above.

Along with the American Defense Ribbon (for service on Wake Island?), the Legion ribbon on the bar in Post #117 could be from a Legion convention medal or a medal for a post officer position like the one below...

$T2eC16Z,%21zcE9s4g3Kn0BP+dIb%29%29bQ~~6

Edited by IrishGunner

1. American Campaign Medal

2. European/African/Mid Eastern Campaign Medal

3. Asiatic/Pacific Campaign Medal

4. Marine Corps Good Conduct Ribbon

5. American Defense Medal

6. Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal

7. Navy/Marine Corps Presidential Unit Citation

8. Purple Heart

Service Star explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star

My sincerest Thanks Speagle!