News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dueling pistols from Perth Ontario

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

About a year ago I posted photos and a write-up about two cannons in front of the Perth Court House in Perth Ontario. Last week we took a 5 hour drive up to Perth to have dinner with my wife's family (returning Sunday morning) but before we left we stopped in at the Perth Museum to take a photo of these dueling pistols.

These are the actual pistols used by John Wilson and Robert Lyon on 13 June 1833 in what was to be the last duel ever fought in Upper Canada (now Ontario). The duel was fought over a young lady, Miss Elizabeth Huges. Both Mr. Wilson and Mr. Lyon missed on their first round and were perpared to shake hands and call it a day except Mr. Lyon's second, Mr. Henry LaLievre insisted they give it another go. This time Mr. Lyon was shot just under his outstretched arm and his heart was pierced. He was 19 years of age.

As usual there is more to the story both prior to and after the duel so I would suggest you go to the following link for some interesting Canadian history. Only a Canadian can call our history interesting without smiling. :rolleyes:

My link

In case I messed up posting the link properly, it is http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/tales/last-duel.html

I'm having problems with the link. The word after "rideau-" is "info", For some reason this is not coming out correctly when I post. Anyway, do check it out.

I do not know the calibre of the pistols and the musuem staff could not help as they were students filling in for the summer. I hate that someone placed a red rose in the case. Very artsie but out of place, IMHO. You can see a photo of Mr. Lyon's tombstone mounted in the case and a siloette of him to the right.

If anyone can help with the calibre it would be apresiated. I would not be surprised to find it is a 50 cal.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Brian - very interesting - makes me wonder when the last duel took place in the UK ? By 1833 it had certainly been banned for some years. Did you by any chance note the maker for the pistols - an expensive purchase when they were made.

Hi Mervyn,

No I could not see the maker's name. The regular museum staff would have opened the case for me, I am sure, as my wife is a "native" of Perth. They have been most helpful in the past. However on the weekend, when we were there, only summer student help was on duty and they would never take that much liberality. I would not expect them to do so. The next time we are in Perth through the week I will ask the curator to allow me to see them and perhaps handle them more closely, with white gloves on of course.

I would think these pistols would command a very high price at the time they were purchased. I would not hazard to guess what they would be worth today given their historic value.

Regards

Brian

hi Brian,

Lovely pistols. Curious rear extension to the handle and would certainly be interesting to know the maker - perhaps the museum has an online search facility to find out more? Most duelling pistols were between 0.45 and 0.65 calibre. Whilst it was 'frowned upon' in Europe really from the C18th, duels still occurred often as a formality. There was a famous one between Wellington and Lord Winchelsea in 1829 so not that far off the date of yours. Although both were more fortunate than poor Mr. Lyons - Wellington deliberately missed and Winchelsea fired into the atmosphere. I hope Mr Wilson and Miss Elizabeth lived happily ever after...?!

The extension to the grip was to steady the hand when firing - you only used one hand in a duel. To fight a duel was illegal and the participents could be sent to prison - however, the magistrates, mostly, came from the same Class and were , therefore, sympathetic.

The extension to the grip was to steady the hand when firing - you only used one hand in a duel. To fight a duel was illegal and the participents could be sent to prison - however, the magistrates, mostly, came from the same Class and were , therefore, sympathetic.

This website has more info. on the duel and a lovely shot of very similar pistols, though the second pair have detachable shoulder stocks - not on for duelling, don't you know.

BTW, deliberately missing one's opponent was known as 'deloping' and was considered the height of style and bravery because, of course, one couldn't count on the opponent making the same generous gesture! In fact, if both parties were of such a mind, the duel would likely not occur, as it was the first duty of seconds to try and persuade their principals to shake hands and make up. Only after such an offer had been refused were they to conduct the duel. And certainly there were cases in which be the cold SOBER light of dawn the injured party thought better of his challenge and agreed to a reconciliation.

And then there was Marechal Foch of the French Army, who always bought a one way ticket to the suburb of Paris where duels were customarily conducted planning, as he said, to use his opponent's ticket for the return portion! Not sure if or how many he killed but he fought quite a number of duels.

Edited by peter monahan

• 5 years later...

I would say that the pistols pictured are a fine example of .54 caliber saw-handle dueling pistols made by Richardson of Philadelphia,PA.

In very good condition, they might fetch $10,000

Hi UEL,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the additional information.  We have visited Perth several times since and other than the occasional verbal duel with my mother-in-law while there we never seem to have the time to re-visit the museum with the hope of getting a closer look. The last time we were there we looked for Robert Lyon's headstone in the cemetary where he is burried and the stone seems to be missing.  Have you heard anything of it's disappearence in your area on the province; no one we spoke to in Perth or Smith's Falls knew anything about it.

I hope to hear more from you here on the forum, it's also good to have another Canadian to moan about the weather to. ;)

Regards

Brian