News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

There might be some collectors who had ever wanted to know what the Royal Order of Sobhuza II look alike (included me).

Today I got an old production catalogue from the company who manufactured them (Skinner).

Nowday the new Orders instituted by King Mswati III are manufactured by Cleave & Co and it seems the Order of Sobhuza II is not awarded anymore.

I hope you'll enjoy these rare pictures.

Emmanuel

Here the Grand Counsellor breast star.The Royal Order of Sobhuza II has 3 grades (Grand Counsellor which is an enameled sash badge & a breast star - Chief Counsellor which is a smaller enameled neck badge - Counsellor which is a smaller unenameled breast badge).

The motto reads : YIHHULU ZASHINGA which is the war cry of the Royal Regiment.

Emmanuel

Here the Grand Counsellor breast star.The Royal Order of Sobhuza II has 3 grades (Grand Counsellor which is an enameled sash badge & a breast star - Chief Counsellor which is a smaller enameled neck badge - Counsellor which is a smaller unenameled breast badge).

The motto reads : YIHHULU ZASHINGA which is the war cry of the Royal Regiment.

Emmanuel,

Thank you for postings these great images.

I cannot see the colour of the wreath of leaves around the Grand Councellor badge and star. Is it red?

Cheers,

James

Emmanuel,

Thank you for postings these great images.

I cannot see the colour of the wreath of leaves around the Grand Councellor badge and star. Is it red?

Cheers,

James

Hello James,

Yes, it is red, only it is not leaves, they are lourie bird feathers.

Dragomir

The item shown in the centre of these interesting awards is the traditional Swazi Battle Axe. The shape is distinctive from other Southern Africa axes in that is is a triangle shape and set down the shaft. Zulus never made such good axes and the present Zulu King - Goodwill Zwelathini - carries a chromed one of these on formal occasions

• 1 year later...

This lot was sold in Dreweatts Auction House (18 November 2009) for £185 :speechless:

description

Medals - The Royal Order of Sobhuza II, Grand Counsellor, neck, breast and dress miniature in embossed presentation case by Skinner & Co., 35 Old Bond Street, London, W.1 Yemen Star of the Republic, neck badge and dress miniature in embossed presentation case, by Skinner & Co. 35 Old Bond Street, London, W.1. Yemen Star of the Republic, breast badge & miniature in embossed presentation case by Skinner & Co, 35 Old Bond Street, London, W.1, together with a collection of other Yemenese awards, each cased, (lot), (13).