News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Merchant Navy tunic

I got this uniform jacket as a gift a few weeks ago. It used to belong to my wifes grandfather. He served as a chief engineer, with Fenwick ship owners. He sailed in both the North atlantic, and the Pacific during the war. His ship was torpedoed once, but the torpedo was a dud. I was allso told that he, and a gunner on an other ship, participated in downing a japanese bomber. The jacket is undated, so I don't know if it is wartime, or from the fifties. I hope you like it.

All the best

Snoopy

• 4 weeks later...

Not much interest in this one. I have no experience with british Merchant Marine items, so I have a couple of questions. Here they come. Is it correct that the stripes on this jacket is for a chief engineer? Is it possible to determine the age of the jacket from the style of the insignia? The only markings inside the jacket, is from a taylor in Sunderland, and the label is undated. I would appreciate any help. I'm trying to find as much information as possible, about him and his jacket. It would be nice to have something to tell my children when they get a bit older. He died before I met my wife, but from what I have understood, he did not like to talk about his service during the war. Is it possible to contact an archive, to find out something about his service in the Merchant marines?

All the best

Snoopy

I have no knowledge re the Merchant Navy, but the National Archives have WWII medals issued to Merchant seaman 1946 - 2002 on-line:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/seamens-medals.asp

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=12&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

Also movements of Merchant ships:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/bt389.asp

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=37&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

Guest Rick Research

I can't help on backing colors etc either, but the "traditional" style goes back at least to the First War--

This happy fellow has similar rank and from the amount of war zone service chevrons, has lived to see the Armistice!

Thank you very much, guys. That's a really great photo, Rick. Your photo collection, must be really impressive.

It's a very nice grouping you have there, Mervyn. It's nice to see some items that belonged to these forgotten heroes.

All the best

Snoopy

I have a few more questions. Is it still possible to find out, what medals he was entitled to wear? He never bothered to get his campaign stars. Is it correct that they had to pay for the stars? Is it to late for my wife to get his medals?

Snoopy

• 4 weeks later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Snoopy

Just found this thread, In the past I have had some luck researching Merchant Navy men by contacting the shipping line they served with. I have just done a quick seach and found that the Fenwick line was formed in 1901 and obviously served on throughout the wars.

I'm not saying its a definate but all shipping lines have kept records and some are very helpful if you can track down a contact address.

Good luck Simon