News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post WWII Navy Service

Michael

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread.  Thank you for keeping it going, and congratulations on completing a fine research project.

I recently acquired my first US medal bar.  I have a particular interested in the Korean War and the bar belonged to a US Army Corporal who was awarded a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his service in Korea.  It was my most interesting project for a long time, and I now understand the allure of US medal bars.

Regards

Brett

PS  I posted my acquisition In the Korean War medal bar thread.

9 hours ago, Paul R said:

Well, he served 20 years of active duty, which means that he would have received five awards of this medal(unless he lost one or more due to a Mast/Courts Martial).  Five awards would be reflected as four bronze stars on the ribbon.

What makes this confusing is that in 1963, the medal was changed to every four years, versus three.  As a side note, the award frequency was changed again to every three years in 1996.   

Anyway, based upon the period award criteria, he would have received:

Medal in 1951, repeats in 54, 57, 61.  Then the four-year rule started in 1963- so his next medal would have been 1965, with his retirement in 1968.  That makes the medal plus four stars.  He missed his silver star by one year.  

His service record states "Good Conduct Medal w/5 loops".  But it also has an Oak Leaf cluster on his National Defense Service rather than a star.

Would his reserve service have counted?

Michael

7 hours ago, Brett Hendey said:

Michael

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread.  Thank you for keeping it going, and congratulations on completing a fine research project.

I recently acquired my first US medal bar.  I have a particular interested in the Korean War and the bar belonged to a US Army Corporal who was awarded a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his service in Korea.  It was my most interesting project for a long time, and I now understand the allure of US medal bars.

Regards

Brett

PS  I posted my acquisition In the Korean War medal bar thread.

Brett,

I posted this bar some years back: 

I really wish I knew whose it was. Purchased in a sporting goods store in Oakville Ontario.

Michael

I know that I read through things quickly, but how much of his time was with the Naval Reserves?  Reserve time is not good toward the Active Duty version of the GCM.    

It seems as if the folks who completed his records confused him with being in the Army(loops and oak leaves for ribbons).  The Army criteria for the CGM was consistently three years.  Under the Army regs, he would have had six awards of the CGM(Medal and five loops) at 20 AD years.  Being in the Navy during the time period he was in, he could have only earned the 5 awards(medal and four stars).  

Brett, 

I will have to your bar out!

Regards

Paul

7 hours ago, Paul R said:

I know that I read through things quickly, but how much of his time was with the Naval Reserves?  Reserve time is not good toward the Active Duty version of the GCM.    

It seems as if the folks who completed his records confused him with being in the Army(loops and oak leaves for ribbons).  The Army criteria for the CGM was consistently three years.  Under the Army regs, he would have had six awards of the CGM(Medal and five loops) at 20 AD years.  Being in the Navy during the time period he was in, he could have only earned the 5 awards(medal and four stars).  

He did another ten years - Nov. 16, 1968 - Nov. 1, 1978.

On the lookout now for a bronze V for the NAM and star for the Vietnam Service.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...