News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great medal bar of a Swedish officer who served in the British Army

Dear Stellan

It's absolutely fantastic that you published a biography of Thord. I'd love to acquire the bio, even the original publication in Swedish would be great.

I'm very interested in any other information or photos I can get my hands on. Swedish or English. Especially his +- 1000 letters in Swedish. Do you know how I could get a copy of them?

Best Regards

Barry Thord-Gray

Dear Stellan

It's absolutely fantastic that you published a biography of Thord. I'd love to acquire the bio, even the original publication in Swedish would be great.

I'm very interested in any other information or photos I can get my hands on. Swedish or English. Especially his +- 1000 letters in Swedish. Do you know how I could get a copy of them?

Best Regards

Barry Thord-Gray

Dear Stellan

Best Regards

Barry Thord-Gray

Hi Barry,

Send me a mail: stellan.bojerud@telia.com

I will answer you with info in English regarding Thord.

Best greetings

Stellan

• 4 weeks later...

Tord also wore the Svenska Brigaden 1918 in blue-yellow-blue ribbon instead of the original as below.

Hello,

interesting (since I'm very much into the Swedish Brigade) that he got that. He must have supported his brother Gustaf Hallström in some way? One didn't have to go over to Finland 1918 and fight to get the medal, it was also rewarded to those who worked for the Brigade in Sweden.

I already got your book Stellan and I will start on it right away! :-)

Regards,

Stefan

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm quite interested in the your English Translation. Please let me know of the status of this work!

I have been researching Thord-Gray's service in the Mexican Revolution, which at first I found to be so incredible as to be unbelievable. But over the years, I have found corroborating evidence which has erased all my doubts. For example, Thord-Gray's outlandish account of his conflict with Maj. Merigo, commander of Obregon's artillery. I came across a rare copy of a memoir of the Mexican Revolution written by an American journalist, George Weeks, who was assigned to cover Carranza at the time of Thord-Gray's service. Weeks tells his own version of the Merigo incident, which is just as outlandish as that of Thord-Gray.

Hello, I wrote the biography of MjGen Ivor Thord-Gray published in Swedish 2008. Now beeing translated to English.

His medals are:

Great Britain (7)

Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal 1880-1897 (Bechuanaland)

Queen´s South African Medal (Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittenbergen, Wepener 20/4 1900)

King´s South African Medal (South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902)

Natal Zulu War Medal (1906)

1914-1915 Star 1920

British War Medal 1920

Victory Medal 1920

Finland (2)

Finlands Vita Ros 1935 (White Rose of Finland) Commander 1st class

Finlands Skyddskårers Förtjänstmedalj 1934 (Finland National Guard)

France (1)

Victory Medal 1914-1918 1921

Russia (6)

S:t Anne 1st class with swords 1920

S:t Anne 2nd class with swords 1919

S:t Stanislaus 2nd class with swords 1919

S:t Vladimir 3rd class with swords 1920

S:t Vladimir 4th class with swords 1919

Cross of the Order of the Compassionate Heart 1933

Spain (2)

Order of Isabella Catolica, Commander 1921

Order of San Ferdinand 1921

Sweden (4)

Svärdsorden (Order of the Sword), Commander Great Cross 1934

Nordstjärneorden (Order of the Polar Star), Comm Great Cross 1962

Gustaf V:s Nya Sverigemedalj (New Sweden Medal) 1938

Svenska Brigadens Minnesmedalj (Swedish Brigade Mem.Med) 1918

USA (1)

Military Order of Foreign Wars Companions 1929

Best greetings from Stockholm!

• 4 years later...

Would he not also be eligible for the Philippine Campaign Medal from the U.S. for his service with the Philippine Constabulary during the Moro rebellion in 1907-09?

Is there any truth to him having served with the French Foreign Legion in Tonkin (1909) and with the Italian Army at Tripoli, Libya (1911)?

Hello Dan,

interesting questions about which I also would like to know the answers (and so we wait the answers of the experts....) but I wonder why, if we consider all the previous photos of him wearing the various medals, the photos of his Full Size and Miniature medal racks and his Ribbon bar group, if entitled, in any of those, the US Philippine Campaign Medal is absent ?

Edited by lilo