News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Irish Constabulary -- Need Help Please!

Hello all,

Is there anyone here who can assist me with the following research?

This is what I have so far:

Patrick Lawler, born around December 1864 or January 1865 in County Carlow, Ireland

Joined the Royal Irish Constabulary and was appointed on the 2nd of October 1885, at the age 20 years and 10 months

Served in the following counties 18/02/1886 ARMAGH, 16/10/1886 LEITRIM, 18/08/1889 KILKENNY,18/05/1895 WATERFORD, 01/04/1896 KILKENNYHe retired with pension on 27th June 1918.

I believe the records show that there are three other "Patrick Lawler's" shown on the records.

What I need to know is.....where are the other three Patrick Lawlor's from in Ireland .... specifically what county.

Regards and many thanks

Mike

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have perhaps seen this, but I believe the RIC records are held by the National Archive office.

Hopefully this link will work:

http://www.nationala...afletID=244&j=1

There should be an alphabetical index to the records which will aid your search.

These should hopefully tell you the native county of the other three Patrick Lawlers.

Another possible source might be the book by J Herlihy.

Best of luck with your search

Hi Mike Try posting your query on the forum devoted to the RIC, which is as follows: http://constabulary.com/textfilebb/index.php I hope it helps. Regards Brett

PS My post dropped part of the address.  It should be: constabulary.com/textfilebb

Edited by Chairman

Mike

No need to stray too far GMIC can answer many of your questions. There are four Patrick Lawlers on record, looking at the service numbers you can rule out three of them because their numbers do not tally with the joining date, your man's service number is 51181 if that helps narrow it down for you further.

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have perhaps seen this, but I believe the RIC records are held by the National Archive office.

Hopefully this link will work:

http://www.nationala...afletID=244&j=1

There should be an alphabetical index to the records which will aid your search.

These should hopefully tell you the native county of the other three Patrick Lawlers.

Another possible source might be the book by J Herlihy.

Best of luck with your search

Thanks Jamie

Mike

No need to stray too far GMIC can answer many of your questions. There are four Patrick Lawlers on record, looking at the service numbers you can rule out three of them because their numbers do not tally with the joining date, your man's service number is 51181 if that helps narrow it down for you further.

Thanks Nick

<br />Mike<br /><br />No need to stray too far GMIC can answer many of your questions. There are four Patrick Lawlers on record, looking at the service numbers you can rule out three of them because their numbers do not tally with the joining date, your man's service number is 51181 if that helps narrow it down for you further.<br />
    <br /><br /><br />

Nick,

The last piece of the puzzle that I need solved is where the remaining three other "Patrick Lawler's" hailed from in Ireland.

The Patrick Lawler I have identified is from County Carlow......just need to know where the other three came from.....and my mystery is solved !

Thanks so very much for all the help on this one !

Regards,

Mike